SE/30 PSU Upgrade

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Hey all!

This time, I'm not running a thousand tabs so I hopefully I end up posting in the right forum. Hahaha. My bad/ADHD's bad!

I'm looking at this PSU for my SE/30, and I think the B variant (5v, 12v, -12v) should meet all SE/30 needs. Yes? The product sheet is attached.

I know I can do the Seasonic, but I want to make a custom 3D printed open cage for appearances, so this PSU should give me all the overhead I need to run an 040 and a Radius Pivot PDS board and the bright shade of green matches my theme. Just wanna make sure it has the solder points I need for the power switch and the mains plug.

LMK!!

Thanks,

Katrina

Attachments

• PPT-125-SPEC.PDF
    634 KB · Views: 22

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
That's a pretty good solution but this can take a mains connection by default so for tidiness (clear case build) I want to try to get this to work first.

At this point, I'm seeking to determine if those 3 voltage outputs meet the needs of an SE/30.

But that is a seriously cool device, and might be Plan B! Haha. Thanks for sharing it.

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
My Sony PSU is labeled:
5V at 6A
12V#1 at 1.25A (sweep)
12V#2 at 2.1A (disk)
-12V at 0.5

Total 12V needed is 3.35A, which would need the 18CFM fan to achieve with the MeanWell.

I’ve combined 12V sweep and disk from the single 12V output of my Seasonic SSP-250SUB without difficulties.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
Better specs and more compact than the original PSU.

Speaking of original PSU: it can handle an accelerator card and a graphics card! Back in the day these expansions never required replacing the PSU.

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
As the Mean Well RT-85B is convection cooled, I’d recommend using the case from an Astek or Apple SE/30 PSU rather than Sony, since they have greater ventilation.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Better specs and more compact than the original PSU.

Speaking of original PSU: it can handle an accelerator card and a graphics card! Back in the day these expansions never required replacing the PSU.
In that case, problem solved! If it can handle both, no need to tinker with the PSU.

So then why do people upgrade their PSUs? Thermals?

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
I upgraded one of my SE/30 PSU’s rather spending time trying to keep a 35 year old Astek going, and upgraded a few other Astek and Apple branded PSU’s for the sake of longevity. I’m planning to recap, rather than upgrade, the Sonys, which have a better reputation for reliability.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I don't see a label on my PSU. It's got the circular holes, not the slits. So which is mine?

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
I believe the well ventilated cases with the round holes are the Apple branded PSU’s.