SE/30 Reloaded

appleg33k85

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
I"m looking to get some more information on the SE/30 reloaded project? I see one post with @craig completing one, but I haven't seen any for sale. I'm interested in working on one and would like to know if they are in the final stages that I could either get one made from JLCPCB or buy one from someone that has one available. Thanks in advance! @Bolle @Kai Robinson

appleg33k85

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Hi @appleg33k85! :)👋

Yes, @craig did one. AFAIK, it is still a project that people build themselves.

I am wondering the same thing whether @Bolle will have those boards to obtain and build like it is for the SE Reloaded.

Cheers,
Yes, i'm not looking for a pre-built one, I'm trying to see if anyone has the PCB for sale so I can build one or if the github from @Bolle is finalized so I can order some boards from JLCPCB.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Gotcha. I have wondered if it is cheap to order PCBs? Of course, it depends on the circuitry, board, and other factors like ordering things to be 3D printed.

appleg33k85

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Gotcha. I have wondered if it is cheap to order PCBs? Of course, it depends on the circuitry, board, and other factors like ordering things to be 3D printed.
It was about $90 to have 5 done (the minimum) but I don't want to go ahead with it if there are still things being worked on with the project. I'm sure there would be a few people interested in going in on a run of them. Its mainly for the new Maceffects case that I have coming in, wanted a cool looking board and would be a fun project.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Foggy or colored clear case? I wish that @MacEffects would reconsider and do another run for transparent clear cases for the SE/30. For now, they are saying no more. I guess it is costly with the injection mold.

I think they should look into transparent aluminum. :sneaky:

giphy.gif

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I'll be making a run of boards in August/September for the SE, SE/30 and Classic Reloaded - however, i've just been made redundant so finances are a little tight until my severance pay comes in!

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
It was about $90 to have 5 done (the minimum) but I don't want to go ahead with it if there are still things being worked on with the project. I'm sure there would be a few people interested in going in on a run of them. Its mainly for the new Maceffects case that I have coming in, wanted a cool looking board and would be a fun project.
That sounds cheap. I looked at it via JLCPCB a few weeks back, and with the bottom side SMD's installed as part of he build it was more than twice that from memory. I paused at that, and the fact I couldn't determine if the port issue Craig discovered was actually fixed in the github - I know Craig mentioned it was fixed, but it just wasn't clear to me.

appleg33k85

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
That sounds cheap. I looked at it via JLCPCB a few weeks back, and with the bottom side SMD's installed as part of he build it was more than twice that from memory. I paused at that, and the fact I couldn't determine if the port issue Craig discovered was actually fixed in the github - I know Craig mentioned it was fixed, but it just wasn't clear to me.
That was without the bottom side SMD installed. With them installed looks like it comes out to around $170ish using a black PCB.

craig

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Dalry, Scotland
www.meerkats.uk.com
OK, cool - that sounds about right. If someone can confirm the serial port issue is fixed I'd happily place an order and split as needed.
Hi, sorry I've not been on the forum for a while due to loads of outdoors DIY projects.

I believe that @Bolle did indeed fix the serial port issue almost immediately after I reported it and I think he also fixed an issue with SIMM socket mounting holes around the same time. I'll see if I can find the post where he confirmed this but it might have been on the "other forum".

Good luck with your build if you do decide to go ahead.
Best regards,
Craig.

Edit: Found confirmation on the other forum. I'm not aware of any reason why I can't post a link to the other forum so here it is. Someone please let me know if this is not permitted.

Also, if you look a few posts down from the one I've linked you'll see he confirms the fixes are there for the SIMM hole placement.

Last edited:
Reactions: pocketscience