SE/30 SCSI Issues

Duke09

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I've been having issues with my SE/30 SCSI for awhile now. I've replaced F3 as that was bad and it didn't help the SCSI situation. I then replaced the SCSI chip with a modern Zilog one and made some progress. it would finally see SCSI devices, but would never boot to them. It would either hang on welcome to Macintosh, get a system bomb, or it says this disk was created with Minimal software and will not work on this Macintosh. Also I can't seem to get any floppy disks to boot from this as well as it just ejects them with the floppy X out on the screen. Im not sure what other areas to check on my board for bad traces etc. Any help appreciated.

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Have you gotten it to boot on anything? If there are issues with both SCSI and floppy, it may be something else.

On my SE sometimes it takes a few tries to read a floppy to boot from it.

Have you tried both external and internal SCSI?

Has the board been recapped?

Duke09

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Have you gotten it to boot on anything? If there are issues with both SCSI and floppy, it may be something else.

On my SE sometimes it takes a few tries to read a floppy to boot from it.

Have you tried both external and internal SCSI?

Has the board been recapped?
I haven’t been able to boot from anything in awhile. I haven’t tried external scsi or floppy yet. I’ve recapped it already

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I'd try external SCSI next, like a blueSCSI etc that's known to be good. Hopefully that would narrow things down a bit for you.

An alternate thing to try would be getting a Rominator and verifying that you can boot from the ROM's image.