SE/30 sound issue

ikawnoclast

New Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2024
Hey everyone. I stumbled on this thread while trying to fix my own Mac SE/30 sound problem.

Back story: I got hold of an SE/30 that was in good shape (i.e., logic board was not battery-bombed and only minimal cap leakage with minor corrosion.) The system chimed, booted, and worked. I recapped and cleaned up the whole logic board and that process went well. (Maybe.)

After the recap work, I fired the system up for several hours and played around to make sure it worked. It chimed on start, but I wasn't able to get any sound out of it. I used the Sound control panel, since the owner of the system didn't have any installed applications with sound output. None of the control panel alert options generated any sound. (Unfortunately, I think the original hard drive is now dead too. It has a solid LED on power up, and the system can't see the disk anymore. Problem #2 to solve with a BlueSCSI order soon.)

Reading this thread, I decided I should check my newly installed capacitors at C3, C4, C5, and C6. They looked ok. However, I went back and touched up the solder joints thinking that some may not have good contact with the pads. Unfortunately, that might have been a mistake as I have no chime now on power up.

Here is my test plan:
1. Use the headphone jack to confirm sound output, assuming I should hear the chime there too.
2. Verify that the speaker wire is undamaged with a continuity test.
3. Verify that the speaker still functions.
4. Visually inspect the traces from those capacitors and check continuity where possible.

If you have other test ideas or other components I need to check, I would appreciate the ideas.

I realize that I might need to get the BlueSCSI for a bootable system for more in-depth software-based testing.

Thanks.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Hey everyone. I stumbled on this thread while trying to fix my own Mac SE/30 sound problem.

Back story: I got hold of an SE/30 that was in good shape (i.e., logic board was not battery-bombed and only minimal cap leakage with minor corrosion.) The system chimed, booted, and worked. I recapped and cleaned up the whole logic board and that process went well. (Maybe.)

After the recap work, I fired the system up for several hours and played around to make sure it worked. It chimed on start, but I wasn't able to get any sound out of it. I used the Sound control panel, since the owner of the system didn't have any installed applications with sound output. None of the control panel alert options generated any sound. (Unfortunately, I think the original hard drive is now dead too. It has a solid LED on power up, and the system can't see the disk anymore. Problem #2 to solve with a BlueSCSI order soon.)

Reading this thread, I decided I should check my newly installed capacitors at C3, C4, C5, and C6. They looked ok. However, I went back and touched up the solder joints thinking that some may not have good contact with the pads. Unfortunately, that might have been a mistake as I have no chime now on power up.

Here is my test plan:
1. Use the headphone jack to confirm sound output, assuming I should hear the chime there too.
2. Verify that the speaker wire is undamaged with a continuity test.
3. Verify that the speaker still functions.
4. Visually inspect the traces from those capacitors and check continuity where possible.

If you have other test ideas or other components I need to check, I would appreciate the ideas.

I realize that I might need to get the BlueSCSI for a bootable system for more in-depth software-based testing.

Thanks.
Does the machine stop responding if you try to play certain sounds? I had an SE/30 that had no sound from the speaker or headphone ports. When I opened the sound control panel it would hang (mouse would move, but couldn't click anything. Turned out there was a broken trace from the UE10 chip to the glue chip. I added a bodge wire to the via and all was well again.

ikawnoclast

New Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2024
When I had a working hard drive, I found that that sound control panel allowed me to change the settings, and it did not hang. No sound though. I will check the traces betwen the UE10 and Glue chip though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Ordered a BlueSCSI tonight, so I hope to have the software side working for more investigation.

Keith

Reactions: JeffC and wottle

ikawnoclast

New Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2024
Just as an update for this thread... I have working sound again. Once I was able to touch-up the solder joints on the audio-related caps and get the system booted with the new BlueSCSI installed, I had sound again. Thankfully, it was not a serious problem.

I moved on to the analog board. I had two very stubborn and stripped screws. Got those out tonight finally. I have the fan replaced, and I will be working on replacing the caps there this week.

Thanks, everyone, for your support!

Keith