Shady eBay seller laptop-better-battery

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
Earlier this year, I picked up a replacement battery from for my 2012 MacBook Air from an eBay seller called "laptop-better-battery". The battery is now completely dead. Supposedly, they have a 3-year manufacturer's warranty. At least that's what their listings say. I've messaged them several times only to get crickets. They've even blocked me from buying another battery. Shady pricks, no? The only thing I can do now is recommend that no one buys from these jerk-offs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 3.37.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 3.37.09 PM.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 42

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
Yea, I called eBay. But because the sale was beyond the eBay time period, they washed their hands of it. It's on the manufacturer's warranty and noting to do with eBay. So, the way I can recoup my cost is by warning others to not waste their time and possibly get screwed.

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Common tactic with eBay battery sellers I'm afraid. Unless your buying from a known brand it's safe to assume anything on eBay will only be warrantied for the length of the eBay money back grantee. Only other thing you can try is you paid through PayPal and it was less than 180 days ago you can file a claim direct through PayPal

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I will say that I guess that I've been lucky. Of all of the batteries I've ever bought from eBay, this was the first issue I've had. Going forward, I'll likely just buy from Amazon from now on.

360alaska

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
You may not like my suggestion,

Question, can you buy another one from them? If so return the other in it's place, sometimes that is the only way to get a company to honor a warranty.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this, after all, it is their battery they offered to cover for 3 years.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
It's not worth my time and effort to set up another account, enter my bank information, place the order, hope it works, and return the bad battery. I'd rather eat the $30 and let everyone else know what a scam that company is. They don't honor their warranty, they don't respond to requests for replacement, they block customers, and should not be selling on eBay. If I can keep just one person from buying, it's worth it and I'm satisfied.

360alaska

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
I guess that changes the math a little bit also, I was thinking you might have spent around 75$ but for 30$ you've probably got your money's worth.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I guess that changes the math a little bit also, I was thinking you might have spent around 75$ but for 30$ you've probably got your money's worth.
Yea, as much as I don't like losing any amount of money, I've had worse. It's more of the disrespect from the seller that bugs me. It's a shame that people can be such jerks. But it's not going to make my life any better to dwell on it, so... moving on.