Show me your gardens

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I like to garden and eat the food I grow. This raised garden bed design is fast & easy to build and is scalable in height dependent on desired height, budget etc. My build costs ran around $188 per bed & should last a good 20-25 years.

2x6x12 = $18*9
4x4x12 = $25
topsoil = $2.50*6

effectively, you leave 6 at full length and cut three right down the middle and assemble into a rectangle screwing into the 4x4s. Typically, the garden beds I build can use one 4x4 cut evenly into four, three foot sections. If you only have 8ft length in your area, your cost will increase a bit as you’ll have to buy two 8fters. Anyhow, I assemble these in my back yard and then move them to wherever I want them, level em out and full em up.
3581C151-07AA-40E6-9572-B9ABF6075E83.jpeg

E8212BBF-4C02-484A-990F-EFE1D1B47E6F.jpeg
DE49D2E3-DB96-4687-8F37-52320E7AFE49.jpeg

The first I built 3 years ago and the other two I built last year. I plan on building a few more for flower beds in the front yard. I use soaker hoses that I T’d off from our my watering system so when the lawn gets watered, the garden does as well. My shade structures are made with PVC and zip ties lol. Works like a charm & cheap. The material is starting to show wear and will need to be replaced next year (I’m thinking this will last 3 seasons) but the frame is solid. I could go with a thicker material but I wanted something where sun could still make it through as well as water. The fence pyramid is just reclaimed throw away dog run panels that I use for a bean trellis. Anyhow, excited for this years garden. I just planted all my seed starters and am hoping for a solid harvest ending in lotsa pumpkins for Halloween.

what does your garden look like?’

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
With the prices of lumber *much* more rational, I built a new 1/2 bed that buttresses up to my tool shed. I repurposed some random pavers the previous owners had left stacked up behind the shed for the shed facing foundation, dumped in some yard waste and compost in the bottom, then about 5 cubic feet of soil. All in I need another 4-5 cubic feet of top soil but I’m tired so Ill do that next time I make it to Costco lol as they have a fantastic price on certified organic raised garden bed soil.
672140F8-9A25-4D00-A0D1-B05DF52862E8.jpeg
As it’s western facing & full sun, the plan is to fill it up with Chile plants from seeds varietals out of Chimayo for some chow chow in the mid summer. I’ve been musing training a couple pumpkin plants up onto the shed roof for some late summer/fall pumpkins on the roof which is humorous to see from the road :) .

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I built this in our backyard shortly after moving into our house a few years ago. The tall fence keeps the deer out, and I've since added chicken wire around the base to keep smaller critters out. Used the cap stones from an old retaining wall we had just replaced around the edge, and then some cuttings from a tree my neighbor had just cut down around the inside. The combined width of those has prevented anything from digging under the fence, and gives me something to edge against without damaging the fence.

IMAG0018.jpg

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Very nice - love the enclosure. I live in the sweet spot around my neck of the woods where there are no deer. We have a ton of mule deer around here but I’m far enough away from the mountain foothills and far enough from the river/bosque to not have to worry about them. The only critter I see around and have to contend with are stinky (literally) skunks. There is a female around here who each year brings her brood of youngins for a tour of our back yard lol. I figure by the time my son hits first grade, I’ll have picked up a dog or two (thinking about some female Beagles) which will definitely keep those stinky skunks out of my garden beds LOL 😅