JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
 << Last edit Jan 17, 2023 >>
Many people use a programmer called "TL866II +", and I use it too. Now with the newest model "T48", there are more ROMs supported and the price has dropped.

Kay,
Do you have the T48?
I don't have either programmer yet because I almost never program anything other than Microchip PIC MCUs, and I have a ProMate 3 for that. Sadly, the ProMate3 programmer won't program the SST39SF040 chips.

On Amazon USA, the price of the T48 is $73.99 with various sockets including the PLCC32. On Amazon Japan, the lowest price with sockets seems to be ¥13,999, which is very expensive. (Exchange rate conversion on Amazon USA price: US$74 x ¥131 = ¥9694) Prices on AliExpress are cheaper, but quality is a concern.

Where do you find the "lower price" for the T48?

Reactions: retr01

Bolle

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
if you remove the PLCC chips from any ROM SIMM and put them into the replica’s PLCC sockets (which don‘t exist on the stock logic board), they will apparently not work (I didn‘t test this) without reprogramming.
Correct. The data lines on the PLCC32 sockets on my logicboard are reversed because otherwise routing them in the tight available space would have been really messy.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-18 um 09.47.23.png

Turning the sockets around would have caused issues with the address line routing, so simply inverting the bit order for each chip was the simplest option.

You can use any ROM image you like (up to 2MB in size when using **F040 chips) but you have to invert the byte order before programming them.
I just checked and noticed that I didn't have the stock SE/30 bitswapped files added to github. Just fixed that.

• Love
Reactions: bakkus and robin-fo

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Thanks @Bolle,

This post thread should be SMC ROM SIMM information, so I will write it to prevent confusion, the information @Bolle , @robin-fo , and @Willj wrote about the PLCC32 is for SE/30 Recreation, not for the SMC ROM SIMM ROM,
The SMC ROM SIMM is treated as a normal byte ROM SIMM, so the ROM creation my method in #2 is correct.

In order to prevent user confusion, there is a dedicated post below, so it is good to write here:
https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/se-30-reloaded-lets-build-it.2190/

Again, I want to prevent users of SMC ROM SIMM from getting confused.
Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JDW

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Kay,
Do you have the T48?
I don't have either programmer yet because I almost never program anything other than Microchip PIC MCUs, and I have a ProMate 3 for that. Sadly, the ProMate3 programmer won't program the SST39SF040 chips.

On Amazon USA, the price of the T48 is $73.99 with various sockets including the PLCC32. On Amazon Japan, the lowest price with sockets seems to be ¥13,999, which is very expensive. (Exchange rate conversion on Amazon USA price: US$74 x ¥131 = ¥9694) Prices on AliExpress are cheaper, but quality is a concern.

Where do you find the "lower price" for the T48?
@JDW In the case of T48, more chips are supported, so it can be used widely.
Vintage Macs rarely use the 27C160 EPROM, but the TL866II+ does not support it, but the T48 does.

No matter where you buy it, it's made in China, so I think the cheaper one is better, but since many adapters are not used, it's better to buy only the PLCC32 adapter and T48, and need PLCC Chip Extractor tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01 and JDW

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
AMAZING @Kay K.M.Mods! :)

Now...I have to decide which color and see about setting that from you. I need to see about getting the T48 programmer. Then, I would learn with @JDW to use it to have a custom boot-up screen and chime. :cool:🖥️🔊

SMC is awesome!

giphy.gif

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
If you buy the 12pc programmer kit using Kay's AliExpress link, it includes the PLCC32 adapter (no need to buy that one adapter separately in that case)...

1675930886837.png

But what's the link to the MacOS software to control the programmer?

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
If you buy the 12pc programmer kit using Kay's AliExpress link, it includes the PLCC32 adapter (no need to buy that one adapter separately in that case)...

But what's the link to the MacOS software to control the programmer?
Actually, I bought a kit for the TL866II+, but it comes with many necessary adapters, but I rarely use them. So I do not recommend them. By the way, if you buy only the adapter you use separately, it will be considerably cheaper.

Unfortunately there is no Mac application that can control the T48.
Minipro app. is compatible with the old model number TL866II+, but since you have to use Homebrew, it will be Big Sur or later.
*This is a ported version from Linux, so it can't be helped...
For this reason, Windows is required only for this flashing operation.
*If you can use Windows 10, you should prepare a cheap desktop that you can buy for less than 100 USD.

One good news is that we're building an app that lets you do things other than flash on your Mac. It supports High Sierra to latest.

Attachments

• Crucible_finder4.jpg
    Crucible_finder4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Crucible_finder3.jpg
    Crucible_finder3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 50

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Maybe it's good to stay with the TLS866+, not only for the MacOS software, but also because it can program your ROM chips and just about anything else too, including the ROMs for a Mac SE and other programming projects like that?

SOURCE: https://groups.google.com/g/sebhc/c/Hn0xDdiyryc
I don't think so.
Again, the majority of these hardware cut Macs and Linux down, but it makes sense if these manufacture wants to build something cheap. Developing software for minorities is a gap-filling task...

Since the T48 newly supports EPROM 27c160 (it works with many vintage computers) and more, the range of chips that can be flushed has expanded. Previously they were not supported.

In any case, I think there is no reason to we dislike Windows so much because we often need Windows in any situations in the many companies, even in the systems of banks and transportation companies😄

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Unfortunately there is no corresponding EEPROM, so it is limited to 512KB or 2MB. However, 2MB is enough unless there is something special.

So, 2 MB = four 512KB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips. I can see that 2 MB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips are obtainable. I understand that some of them only can be programmed once rather than over again and again. There are 2 MB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips that can program more than once.

For example:

SST39SF020A-55-4C-NHE via Digi-Key is available to ship immediately, which are re-writeable EEPROM PLCC-32 chips 2 MB each.

1675981462034.png

8 MB is better to boot up the SE/30 in the desired System with desired INITS and other add-ons like utility apps to check the hard drive or SD, diagnostics, etc.

Hmm, the more I think about it, it is measured in kilobits and megabits rather than kilobytes and megabytes. Does that mean the 512Kbit x 8 = 2 MB? So, 4Mbit x 8 = 8 MB? I can see some EEPROM PLCC-32 chips organized in 4 Mbit x 8.

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
My first home computer was the MacIntosh 128K in 1984. Through all these years, I have never owned a single Windows PC for home use.

So even though I probably can buy a PC for my home use for only $100, it would cost me a lot more than that in my time to set it up directly. It’s probably easier for me to just use one of the PCs at the office.

By the way, we have two Microchip ProMate 3 programmers, which cost $1000 each, at the office. We also have various socket modules for them. I always use my Mac with them because Microchip offers a Mac version of MPLAB X. In the past, that software was Windows only, but they decided to start supporting the Mac, probably because of an increase in the number of Mac users who are engineers. I’m glad they made that decision. Because even though we have PCs at the office which can run the Windows version, I have course preferred do use my Mac instead.

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
So, 2 MB = four 512KB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips. I can see that 2 MB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips are obtainable. I understand that some of them only can be programmed once rather than over again and again. There are 2 MB EEPROM PLCC-32 chips that can program more than once.

For example:

SST39SF020A-55-4C-NHE via Digi-Key is available to ship immediately, which are re-writeable EEPROM PLCC-32 chips 2 MB each.

8 MB is better to boot up the SE/30 in the desired System with desired INITS and other add-ons like utility apps to check the hard drive or SD, diagnostics, etc.

Hmm, the more I think about it, it is measured in kilobits and megabits rather than kilobytes and megabytes. Does that mean the 512Kbit x 8 = 2 MB? So, 4Mbit x 8 = 8 MB? I can see some EEPROM PLCC-32 chips organized in 4 Mbit x 8.
Calculate them as follows:
39SF010 x4 = 512KB
39SF020 x4 = 1MB
39SF040 x4 = 2MB

There is no benefit to choosing 1MB, In the case of 512KB, it will be the genuine ROM capacity, so I think it's good if you don't need a boot disk or use ROM edited for 68040.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Understood. Thank you, @Kay K.M.Mods.

I noticed that it is possible to have a minimum System file, such as the System file on FWB Toolkit's Emergency Boot Disk. So, perhaps a few essential utilities. After all, 2 MB means about 500 KB more than a 1.44 MB disk.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
The second part of this post describes how to flash the ROM, but plz read that first.
512 KB of IIsi ROM is stored at the beginning of the 2MB. After that comes the concatenated BootDisk area. *This disk image is exactly 15.72MB.
The sum of these two is 2MB, so not all 2MB can be used as a boot disk.
Understood. Thank you, @Kay K.M.Mods.

I noticed that it is possible to have a minimum System file, such as the System file on FWB Toolkit's Emergency Boot Disk. So, perhaps a few essential utilities. After all, 2 MB means about 500 KB more than a 1.44 MB disk.