Software Request: PowerBook 3400c Mac OS 7.6.1 Restore CD-ROM

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Looking to replace the generic copy of 7.6.1 on my 3400 with the personalized one, but the dump of the disk on macintoshgarden isn't properly dumped for mounting on the classic Mac OS. I need to be able to do this (upload to my PiSCSI and mount over emulated CD-ROM). The copy out there is a .toast image that does read on OS X but not under the classic OS, even after converting to .iso so I think it's bad. LMK if I'm wrong.

Does anyone have a copy they could do an ISO dump of?

Thanks!

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
There's a variety of images, though I do not know which one was downloaded, so without knowing which image is potentially bad I can't remedy the issue.
There should also be no need to convert toast into iso, since they are essentially the same... often renaming from .toast to .iso does the trick

Reactions: Mac84

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I didn’t try that specifically, but I did upload the toast file directly to my PiSCSI and my PowerBook said it was uninitialized. I’d think if it’s a file name issue that should have worked. The file I downloaded was the “POWERBOOK3400-CD.ZIP” off the Mac OS 7.6 page.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
It may have been dumped as a HFS volume then instead of a CD image - happens quite often accidentally with toast. One option to try would be to extract it, drag it on top of disk jockey, see if you can convert it to a SCSI disk.

Do you have the apple part # for the CD? I know a site that has tons of images, but they're all listed with the part #.

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
When trying the disc image from Macintosh Garden (link) "PowerBook3400CD.ZIP", it tries to boot when copied to a BlueSCSI v2 (and simply renamed "CD1 PB3400.iso") on my Power Mac 8600. Of course it freezes because the CD doesn't support that system. However, based on that, I'd assume the disc image is good. Sadly my 3400 is not working or I'd test it on there.

I can only assume if properly burned to a CD-R it should boot as well.

The disc image mounts fine on my Intel Mac Pro running Mojave. Remember, Catalina or later doesn't like legacy images and will claim they can't be read.

As fogWraith said, converting .toast to .iso is usually not needed. In this case I simply renamed the file to .iso. 90% of the time that works. The disc also shows up via an emulator with it's files intact. Worse case scenario those files could be copied to make a bootable .HDA (hard drive image) or maybe an .ISO. So I wouldn't be so fast to jump toward the conclusion of the image being bad.

1684507324203.png

T

Last edited:

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Hmm. Will have to give it another go then! Getting a 3400 to CD-boot can be a pain sometimes (I tried the "c" key on startup once but maybe it just didn't work). I'll give it another go tonight, thanks Steve!

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Hmm. Will have to give it another go then! Getting a 3400 to CD-boot can be a pain sometimes (I tried the "c" key on startup once but maybe it just didn't work). I'll give it another go tonight, thanks Steve!

The manual for the PowerBook 3400 specifically says booting the system holding Command + C. If that fails, plug in an ADB keyboard and try it on that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 10.56.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 10.56.40 AM.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 3lectr1c

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I've held C alone in the past with an official OS 8.5 CD in the drive and that's worked, will try command too tonight. I've actually got the 3400 with me right now but I'm out of the house so I can't test with my PiSCSI.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I just burned a CD and the classic mac OS won't mount it still. My PowerBook 3400 couldn't read it (old optical drives have issues sometimes with burned disks). I tried a clamshell and it gave the same error about it being uninitialized, thinking it's a 0K ProDOS image. Disc reads under OS X...