Solution for sharing a keyboard & mouse between USB & ADB?

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I currently have my modern windows pc where I play games/do work on my desk, and next to it I have my Q700 for vintage dev/play.

Currently I have a AEKII with a drakeware ADB2USB for connecting to the PC, and do a swap when I boot up my Mac (but then cant go back to the PC till I shutdown the Mac so I don't hot swap the ADB.

I'm trying to find a solution where I can swap back and forth at will. I don't NEED to use the AEKII.

Was thinking about a Wombat, but it doesn't support Bluetooth dongles - but does support HID dongles - this is probably the only solution that would work with the ADB mouse.

Anyone done this or have other recommendations?

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I currently have my modern windows pc where I play games/do work on my desk, and next to it I have my Q700 for vintage dev/play.

Currently I have a AEKII with a drakeware ADB2USB for connecting to the PC, and do a swap when I boot up my Mac (but then cant go back to the PC till I shutdown the Mac so I don't hot swap the ADB.

I'm trying to find a solution where I can swap back and forth at will. I don't NEED to use the AEKII.

Was thinking about a Wombat, but it doesn't support Bluetooth dongles - but does support HID dongles - this is probably the only solution that would work with the ADB mouse.

Anyone done this or have other recommendations?
This has me thinking as to why hot swapping is D A N G E R. Looking at the pinout of ADB I am wondering that maybe there is a solution simply with the 5v line in. what is the behavior of the keyboards controller during powerup and how can we make a circuit to safely simulate that when hot swapping, flip a switch, wake up the controller and feed the appropriate data+/- and 5v.

Does the Apple only look for a keyboard during power up?

pinout.jpg

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
the software supports hot swapping but hardware does not. People have and i'm sure still do hotswap their ADB devices. there is just a chance. you could cause a short and fry something.
But yeah. you can plug in keyboards / mouse / joysticks. and they work. as long as you were lucky enough to not cause a short during the process.

too erics question. another option might be to use something like VNC.
i used to use synergy but its no longer foss and you have to pay for it. also, i doubt it supports classic mac.

about a decade ago i used it so that it allowed me to use the keyboard and mouse plugged into a windows XP computer, and i could drag the mouse to the edge and it would then be like i was controlling keyboard and mouse on a Linux computer(xwindows specifically). It used VNC as the backend. it was pretty neat.

maybe there is some hack-y way to do a DIY kinda thing. where you activate a VNC (or another remote desktop app) but just hide the window on your modern computer.
idk. sorry. prolly not a great answer.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I'd thought about using VNC, i'll try it, but would rather use something physical.

I would be nice to have a modern adb switch, but I'm not sure the requirements (and I have too many side projects already)

I think my best bet would be to find a keyboard with a physical switch between Bluetooth & HID receiver/usb + a wombat.

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I'd thought about using VNC, i'll try it, but would rather use something physical.

I would be nice to have a modern adb switch, but I'm not sure the requirements (and I have too many side projects already)

I think my best bet would be to find a keyboard with a physical switch between Bluetooth & HID receiver/usb + a wombat.
@Stephen Do I recall you working on some sort of ADB switch a year or so back? maybe completely irrelevant

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
So ADP uses s-video cables. So you could use a "s-video switcher". which might be easier to find.
i haven't actually tried this myself. this is just what i found online. That the cables are basically the same. (that is, they both use the same cable standard.)

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Just an idea, maybe do the switching with USB? You're already able to convert the AEK to USB, so plug that into a USB switchbox/KVM. One output on the switch can go to the PC, then the other can go into a Wombat to convert to ADB. And since the Wombat appears to be powered externally, it *might* keep ADB "alive" on the Q700 so it doesn't realize that the keyboard actually gets disconnected.

Reactions: Patrick and retr01

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
So something like:
Code:
  ┌──────┐                ┌───────┐
  │      │                │       │
  │  PC  ├─USB─┐    ┌─ADB─┤ Q700  │
  │      │     │    │     │       │
  └──────┘     │ ┌──┴───┐ └───────┘
               │ │Wombat│
               │ └──┬───┘
               ▼    ▼
              ┌─────┐
              │ USB │
              │ KVM │
              └──┬──┘
                 ▼
             ┌───────────┐
             │ DrakeWare │
             └───┬───────┘
                 │   ┌───────┐
                 └─► │AEK II │
                     └───────┘

Any recommendations on a USB KVM that is KB/Mouse only?

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
CSS:
       |
    ------
   | o  o |
    (  V )
       |
   ---------
       |
      / \

|
  -----------
 |   you     |
  -----------

you could just use one of your kids as an automated in-between? put them to work.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Got the wombat and I am able to manually move the Drakeware USB from it to the modern PC and back. I did have to add a second ADB port (scavenged from a Classic bombed board) to the wombat for the mouse - the speed of the mouse via the drakeware was slow and I couldn't adjust it. Havent picked up a USB switcher yet, so many bad reviews on them I'll wait a bit.

Reactions: Patrick