Spinner or SD card recommendations please.

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Somerset, United Kingdom.
I have just picked up a M5521 400mhz iMac for the cost of a beer but it has no HDD. Has anyone had success using an IDE to SD adapter or should I buy a spinner as per originally fitted.

The machine boots from the slot loading CD fine and the only issue seems to be a dry joint on the analogue board as there is an occasional crackle and corresponding display interference, so definitely worth saving I think.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    984.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Since it's IDE another option is M.2 SATA (not NVME) to IDE - the adapters are very cheap and a 32 or 64gb M.2 SATA drive is too. I use them in my G4 power book. I know some of the adapters are less compatible - I think in @Action Retro video descriptions there are some recommendations. Also @dosdude1 has a new SSD IDE - and you'd need a laptop to desktop IDE adapter.

IDE spinners are fine too - a local salvage or computer store may just have them around for cheap.

Good thing there's lots of options!

Reactions: XKSTEVE

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Since it's IDE another option is M.2 SATA (not NVME) to IDE - the adapters are very cheap and a 32 or 64gb M.2 SATA drive is too. I use them in my G4 power book. I know some of the adapters are less compatible - I think in @Action Retro video descriptions there are some recommendations. Also @dosdude1 has a new SSD IDE - and you'd need a laptop to desktop IDE adapter.

IDE spinners are fine too - a local salvage or computer store may just have them around for cheap.

Good thing there's lots of options!
Is there any issues with TRIM? I read lots of stuff where some say forget about it where as others are adamant it must be TRIM hardware enabled (which is what is in my G5 tower (OWC)).

Thanks for the video tips - i'll check them out.

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
IMO a 2023 M.2 SSD in a 1999 G3 400mhz you likely wont notice, nor would that be the bottle neck. (no data to back it up but if it was me I wouldn't worry)
That's fantastic. I will order up one of the enclosures mentioned by @Action Retro with a SSD as regardless of whether I can get this iMac fixed its a useful thing to own (yes they are available on Amazon UK) and I found an adaptor as well..

In the mean time I found a box of HDD in the corner of my workshop and low and behold there was a Maxtor IDE spinner in there which is now in the iMac with a fresh install of OS.9.1. These machines are really quiet (its my first iMac CRT and came out after I left the Apple reseller outlet I ran).

Just need to find this dry joint that occasionally crackles, but need to find someone with more knowledge than me about colour CRTs - nasty volts in there :)

Thanks for everyones input and setting me in the right direction.

On a private note: I would personally like to thank you for blueSCSI (I have multiple version 1's a version 2 and external in a home made enclosure). this hobby/interest has been so much easier and more fulfilling thanks to your hard work and efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Action Retro