Subforum for Twentieth Anniversary Macs?

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I recently added a TAM to my collection and would love a place to chat about it here. I didn't see a great subforum for it and think there should be one added. Maybe it's too small of a market, since not many were made, but I've got to believe those of us with working ones want to work together to keep them that way.

I bumped the CD door the day after I got it and snapped the arm off. Fortunately, I was able to glue it back on and it is working, but every eject is a nerve-wracking moment at this point.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
You should probably use the Beige PPC Old World ROM forum to post about the TAM. Perhaps it'd make sense to rename that forum to remove the word 'beige' so it more explicitly includes the TAM.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Yeah, I guess that makes the most sense, since it shares much of the architecture with those.

I feel like Jony Ive would be offended by classifying the TAM as beige!

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I mean the tech is the same as a beige tower that was also sold around the time.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I mean the tech is the same as a beige tower that was also sold around the time.
True, it was a PCI based PowerPC machine. However, I'd argue that there are very little other similarities as it was an All-In-One, had an LCD and trackpad, the Bose bass unit, etc. I still feel like it deserves to be separate from the beige PCI PowerPC Macs.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I disagree. as far as maintaining, fixing, what software to run, etc. it has more inline with the old-world rom Macs. If you need parts you could take it out of one of the beige Oldworld rom powermacs. (I forget which one, but there is one that has the same logic board) For example, You would never use a blue and white powermac. besides the Bose Bass unit, everything else you listed was parts from PowerBooks.

besides, I think if we had a subform for just TAM's it will just be you and me. (ok ok. maybe like 3 other people. but you know what I mean)
and your post won't get the attention it deserves.

edit: word structure / readability fixes.

Last edited:
Reactions: wottle and Elemenoh