Sun SPARCstation 1+ help needed (SOLVED)

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
I found two of these machines. Think I don't know beige Macs? I know Sun even less!
Doesn't look like I can just hook up a VGA display and USB keyboard to it so.... help!
What do I need to test these?

Attachments

• IMG_0722 copy.jpg
    IMG_0722 copy.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0724 copy.jpg
    IMG_0724 copy.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0726 copy.jpg
    IMG_0726 copy.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 81

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Both Sun keyboards/mice and the 13W3 adapters to VGA can be found on eBay. Or I can send you a keyboard/mouse - I have plenty!

Not handy to me now, but if you search for the Sun NVRAM FAQ it will tell you more about what you need to do to fix that problem.

And, if you want to sell or trade for one of those guys, a Sparc 1 is something I’m missing in my collection. 😀

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Here is the NVRAM FAQ:

Glitchworks makes a nice little replacement board that lets you use a coin cell battery. You need some Dremel and soldering skills, but it's a nice long-term replacement. I've done about a dozen of these over time...

I'm pretty sure the Sparc 1 is the 48t02, but if it's the 48t08, he has the board for that, too.

If he's out of the boards, I could probably spare one or two... the other parts are available on Mouser/Digikey very reasonably.

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Both Sun keyboards/mice and the 13W3 adapters to VGA can be found on eBay. Or I can send you a keyboard/mouse - I have plenty!

Not handy to me now, but if you search for the Sun NVRAM FAQ it will tell you more about what you need to do to fix that problem.

And, if you want to sell or trade for one of those guys, a Sparc 1 is something I’m missing in my collection. 😀
I get the feeling it's more trouble than it's worth to test these machines all the way. I can power them up but that's about it. Have yet to investigate and price these out but offers are always welcome :)