SuperMac VidCards - Timeline Development - Links

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Couldn't find a general "Peripherals" forum, is there one and should this be moved there?

I think it's time to flesh out what information is available on LEM and wherever else I can dredge it up. Tried to group by series rather than alphabetically.

Spectrum/24 v. 1.0 - undocumented - Rev.A?
___ Board (c)1988
_____ ROM 1.0 (c)1989
_____ ROM ___ (c) ____

Spectrum24-Rev1.0.jpg

Spectrum/24 Series II - Missing link? Has anybody got one?

Spectrum/24 v.___ - undocumented - Rev.B
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM _____
_____ ROM ___ (c) ____

Spectrum/24 Series III -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM 1.0 (c)1989
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

SuperMac-Spectrum24_III.jpg
QuickDraw Accelerator - DaughterCard Detail
Accelerator-DaughterCard-III-0.jpg

Spectrum/24 Series IV -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/24 Series V -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/24 PDQ -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum24 PDQ.jpg

Spectrum/24 PDQ+ -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/8 -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/8 Series II -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/8 Series III -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum-8 Series III-00.jpg

Spectrum/8*24 PDQ -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum_8.24_PDQ-2p.jpg

Spectrum Power 1152 -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

ColorCard
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

SuperMac-ColorCard-Calvin.jpg
QuickDraw Acceleration DaughterCard Pic?

ColorCard 24
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Thunder/24 -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

SuperMac-Thunder24.jpg

Thunder II GX -
___ Board (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____
_____ ROM ___ (c)____

Spectrum/24 v.1.0 (wholly undocumented) I've been trying to set up intermittently for the last ten years. SuperMac Spectrum/24 Project

I've never been much interested in SuperMac. I'm an avid Radius collector, so I have information on several cards. :)

From: https://wiki.preterhuman.net/SuperMac_Technology interesting company info.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JDW and BFEXTU

jasa1063

New Tinkerer
May 30, 2022
I have a Spectrum/8*24 PDQ with a 1.39 version BIOS. Here is a front & back view.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: BFEXTU

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
I have lots of old datasheets I was planning to make a site at some point. Also, I need to get a better scanner.

Reactions: JDW

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Datasheets sound great. I have a good selection for my Radius collection, but nothing on SuperMac AFAIK.

Thanks @jasa1063 that makes makes the 5 pics for the 15 entries attached in about ten hours! Too tired today, but I'll scope out the boards and update the data points.

joshc

New Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2022
I put that wiki page together, I dug up most of the info from old Macworld magazines. If there is any info out there about Series II cards, old Macworld and MacUser magazines should have them.

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
I have original SuperMac flyers for a number of products and also own various cards (Spec/8 II, Spec/8 III, ColorCard, a Spec/24 III, a newer rev PDQ (not the original PDQ), a Thunder (which is basically just a PDQ with a different ROM), a Spec/8 SI board, an original VideoSpigot and a few Apple video cards. I may have others - not sure. For printed stuff, I need to get a good document scanner and look to see what I have. I also have boxes of old MacWeeks, Macintosh Todays, also probably MacWorld and MacUser, maybe even some UK mags, etc.

At the moment, I am screwing around with custom video timing and Mac II FPU testing, along with a Mac II rebuild so that I can do some FPU programming. I have RC16A, -25A and -33A versions of the MC68882 and am trying to figure out if there is any downside to underclocking the -33 version at 16Mhz on the Mac II (min spec is 16.67Mhz...but). It seems to work fine, the FPU is much faster internally, the FPU benchmarks are definitely faster, but QuickDraw seems to be slightly slower. However, I did my earlier testing before replacing the HMMU with a PMMU. So, I have to go back and do some re-testing to figure out why things are different and whether or not the FPU bus timing is to blame. If so, the sweet spot compromise might be the RC25A. It is faster than the RC16A, but still within spec for a 16Mhz clock. I will have to see which version of the '882 my IIx uses. I think it is also an RC16A '882.

In my video testing, I have re-encountered the fact that earlier versions of SuperVideo had some issue in 32-bit mode. I am using v2.49 at the moment and it gets random "memory error from mdev" errors when trying to load in 32-bit mode with 32Mb of RAM installed in the Mac II. It could also be coming from the firmware of the old card. I need to get the 2.7+ version to see if it was fixed or not. Maybe. I think SuperVideo 3.0 eliminated all of the custom timing...so not as useful in this instance. Further, I rediscovered the fact that the timing granularity in custom modes leads to sync and timing alignment issues, not to mention late activation (secondary init). I hope to wrap up my Mac II testing over the weekend.

Generally speaking, the Mac II form-factor and mid-size variants (II, IIx, IIfx, IIcx, IIci) were always my favorites for doing video card development, debug and testing -- 3 or 6 slots, flat/easy access, etc.

Reactions: JDW

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
I recruited Oscar the Dancing Oscillator to help me knock some of the pixel dust out of my head and made a quick spreadsheet for calculating video timing values for the TMS34061 on early SuperMac Spectrum cards (Spectrum/8, ColorCard, Spectrum/24). It is an update from the original VideoHelper 1.0 from 1988.

oscar.png
Oscar the Dancing Oscillator

The attached spreadsheet is just an initial version. I will modify it to include working values for the 2 SVGA configurations. I will also bring forward the oscillator calculator, if for no other reason than to appease Oscar. It includes a timing diagram, and by looking at the spreadsheet formulae and SuperVideo info, you should be able to develop an understanding about how to make, and/or modify, the calculations.

As long as you know the H & V resolutions (that must be one of the built-in ones the cards support), the oscillator frequency and front port, back porch and sync values, it will generate the input for a custom config in SuperVideo. When you create a custom config for one of these earlier boards, it will probably load at secondary init -- when the desktop is drawn. So, if it is your primary monitor, the screen may remain black until boot completes. I will update the configs after I do some more debugging.

Strictly speaking, the VESA SVGA timing values should be correct, but that doesn't mean that they are going to work. :D There may need to be timing compromises based on the horizontal /8 clock divider (at 40 and 50Mhz, in this case), depending on how the loss of granularity affects timing compatibility vs. the standard. Anyway, I should be able to get them working with a little signal poking.

Attachments

• VideoHelper2.0.20220915.zip
    320.9 KB · Views: 66

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
Here is VideoHelper 1.0 from 1988 with information about programming early SuperMac cards. It went to power users who wanted to use custom configurations. Amazing that it still exists! It's certainly not perfect, but has a lot of interesting information.

Attachments

• VideoHelper1.0+HC1.2.5.sit.hqx
    512.7 KB · Views: 45

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I recruited Oscar the Dancing Oscillator to help me...

View attachment 8690
Oscar the Dancing Oscillator
Forgive my being off-topic, but we seriously need an Animated GIF of that little guy! Not only that, but a vintage Mac app of just him doing a dance, with controls which allow the user to adjust his dance -- or shall I say, "oscillation" -- speed!

• Haha

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
LOL! Fab tangent! ;)

VESA TIMINGS GENERATOR - now publicly available! :) Worksheets missing from online sample of the full version:

VESAx.jpg
Reduced Blanking for LCD optimization is very interesting, been wondering about that for the longest.

@BFEXTU hoping the formulas in these LCD opto worksheets will help in translating standard VESA Timing values into the required input parameters for SuperVideo?

Last edited:

BFEXTU

Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
As you can see from the VideoHelper2.0 spreadsheet in my post above, the standard VESA SVGA timing values for 800x600 are well-known, easy to calculate, and should be correct. If you wouldn't mind, could you please remove the image in your post or convert it to a thumbnail? It does not appear to relate to 800x600 60Hz @ 40Mhz or 800x600 72Hz @ 50Mhz and takes up a huge amount page space. Thanks for posting the public domain link to the calculator.

Here are the relevant timings - if you see any errors, let me know:
800x600SVGA.png

Problems in display from the card probably have to do with issues relating to the card and/or how it uses the TMS34061 vs. not having the correct base timing values. Also, as I mentioned, there is an issue that relates to resolution because of the /8 and /16 horizontal dividers on the early cards.

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
OOPSIE!! ;)

Neophyte here, definitely not gonna be able to spot anything amiss or add anything at the computation level.

Could you post a screenshot of the SuperVideo inputs window with the relevant values for SVGA/60Hz in place so I can just plug 'em in and try it? By my read of the manual, it should spit out the frequency of the crystal I need to order?

An appendix of such pages would make a wonderful extension of the manual I scanned.

Last edited: