Support for PPP in The Old Net WiFi modem

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I'm seeing some weird huge lags when telneting over the PPP connection on MacOS 7.5. I need to do some more packet captures to try and figure out what's going on. The same modem on a Linux machine seems to be able to maintain the telnet flow so I don't think it's the modem itself mangling things.

Also, it's supposed to be offering the DNS server from the WiFi connection to the PPP client so that you don't need to manually configure it, but it doesn't seem to be offering it up right now.

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
I'm seeing some weird huge lags when telneting over the PPP connection on MacOS 7.5. I need to do some more packet captures to try and figure out what's going on. The same modem on a Linux machine seems to be able to maintain the telnet flow so I don't think it's the modem itself mangling things.

Also, it's supposed to be offering the DNS server from the WiFi connection to the PPP client so that you don't need to manually configure it, but it doesn't seem to be offering it up right now.
It seems to be an early version, and only reliable at low speeds such as 9600 bps. I had similar limitations when trying SLIP with a Raspberry (using direct serial connection).

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I have the Old Net Wifi modem, version 3. I can get it working as a modem connecting via Wifi. However, I would like to use the new PPP feature. I found the updated firmware from the Old Net GitHub and the ESPHome flasher program 1.4.0 for macOS.

However, it doesn't see it after I disconnect the serial cable and hook it up via USB to my modern Mac. I made sure it was powered on with a blue LED solid on.

Is there something I need to do to ensure it is recognized as a "COM" port?

Last edited:

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Same - most TCP/IP traffic (FTP transfer in particular for me) is useless atm - slow, flakey, even at slower baud rates. The firmware clearly needs some work
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but I'm not having any issues in the regard? Dialing 777 in the client just works (FreePPP, MacPPP).

(edit - haha didn't realize this was a necro response... anyway, still true!)

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I suspect that macOS needs the USB to Serial chip drivers installed: https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads . Windows might grab them automatically through Windows Update

Dang! No dice. I use macOS Ventura. I did notice that the driver does not have the ARM 64 architecture needed for my MBA M1. I only saw it had the x86 architecture.

Then, someone said that Ventura detects it without needing any custom drivers:

CP210x driver doesn't work on Mac OS with Apple Silicon -- Need ARM binary of the driver.

1682897223996.png

I'm not fond of the ESPhome program, so I found a better one, the NodeMCU PyFlasher.

Still...how do I check whether or not the OldNet WiFi modem is detected as a tty serial device on my modern Mac so I know it will connect when flashing? So far, I have the following as the tty devices using cu:

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.wlan-debug

Nothing else. The /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART was supposed to show up. :confused:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The firmware clearly needs some work

Yep. Moreover, I have noticed nothing much has been done to address those problems in the OldNet's GitHub pages. Maybe it looks fine to OldNet developers using old PCs and not enough testing on Macs?

I wish someone from the Mac camp could help improve the OldNet WiFi modem firmware.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Still...how do I check whether or not the OldNet WiFi modem is detected as a tty serial device on my modern Mac so I know it will connect when flashing? So far, I have the following as the tty devices using cu:

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.wlan-debug

Nothing else. The /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART was supposed to show up. :confused:
Odd for sure. Do you have another computer around (at work / school even) you could try this on? The latest OS I can check with here is Big Sur (M1 MBP), and the ESP appears as 'usbmodem52980017771' in Terminal, and is the only option to choose in esphome-flasher.

And - I hesitate to ask, but just making sure - you're connecting to the ESP via the microUSB, yes?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Odd for sure. Do you have another computer around (at work / school even) you could try this on?

Nope. Well, can Raspberry Pi Zero help me out? Hmmm. There are many guides flashing the ESP8266 firmware from a Raspberry Pi, but a breadboard and some wiring is needed.

I used to have a Lark box from Chuwi. I returned it, thinking I didn't need it. Dang.

I have a Mac Mini G4 that has older OS X on it. Maybe too old.

The latest OS I can check with here is Big Sur (M1 MBP), and the ESP appears as 'usbmodem52980017771' in Terminal, and is the only option to choose in esphome-flasher.

That's a good hint: usbmodem52980017771

And - I hesitate to ask, but just making sure - you're connecting to the ESP via the microUSB, yes?

Yes. I connect the ESP to my MBA M1 using the microUSB to the USB A 2.0 port on the powered hub. I can see the red LED light up and then I can bring up the blue LED which stays solid.

Last edited:

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Nope. Well, can Raspberry Pi Zero help me out? Hmmm. There are many guides flashing the ESP8266 firmware from a Raspberry Pi, but a breadboard and some wiring is needed.
I have no idea lol, I have zero experience with RPi's --- but if you're really stuck then I guess it's worth a shot. What about friends, family, local maker/hacker space?
I used to have a Lark box from Chuwi. I returned it, thinking I didn't need it. Dang.

I have a Mac Mini G4 that has older OS X on it. Maybe too old.
Yeah not sure, but possibly it's too old. I keep an old Windows 7 machine on hand for these kinds of things, got it free. Starting to keep my eye open for a free / super cheap old Windows 10 machine on marketplace.

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Yep. Moreover, I have noticed nothing much has been done to address those problems in the OldNet's GitHub pages. Maybe it looks fine to OldNet developers using old PCs and not enough testing on Macs?

I wish someone from the Mac camp could help improve the OldNet WiFi modem firmware.
Nah, it's just the attention span of a golden retriever. I got the basic functionality going with Basillisk II but didn't push it very hard. I wasn't sure if the stall was an emulation glitch or not then something else shiny crossed my vision. I haven't gotten around to testing it on old Windows.

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
Yes. I connect the ESP to my MBA M1 using the microUSB to the USB A 2.0 port on the powered hub. I can see the red LED light up and then I can bring up the blue LED which stays solid.
I have an ESP32 board which probably uses the same USB<->UART chip. It works fine on my M1 Pro MBP with Monterrey and I don't remember installing any drivers for it. I use the ESP-IDF flash tool. The device shows up as /dev/cu.usbserial-0001. Product id (see System Information.app) is 0xea60.
Maybe this helps :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I have an ESP32 board which probably uses the same USB<->UART chip. It works fine on my M1 Pro MBP with Monterrey and I don't remember installing any drivers for it. I use the ESP-IDF flash tool. The device shows up as /dev/cu.usbserial-0001. Product id (see System Information.app) is 0xea60.
Maybe this helps :)

Do you plug that in directly to the MBP M1 or via the hub?

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
No, using an USB-C to Micro-USB cable, but it should not make a difference. Did you try another cable? There are some cheap charger cables without data wires.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
No, using an USB-C to Micro-USB cable, but it should not make a difference. Did you try another cable? There are some cheap charger cables without data wires.

Yeah, I'd better get Micro USB to USB-C that delivers data and power. The other cables I used were USB A to Micro USB, and I am unsure if they provide data.

I ordered one via Amazon to try it first before getting a cheap laptop. :)

1683092141678.png

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Received it. Now...*drum roll* Tada! Flash is a success. I will test on my SE/30. :)

1683154714112.jpeg
1683155066665.png
1683156979182.png

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Okay, the OldNet WiFi Modem is still alive and working. However, it is having issues connecting to WiFi which is hit-and-miss.

I noticed PPP or 777 returned an error the same as before. Am I missing something? o_O

Sadly, the developers at OldNet never were clear about WHICH firmware is MOST RECENT that INCLUDES ALL of the updates such as OTA updates, PPP, etc.

UPDATE: I found the correct firmware file, "theoldnet_serial_wifi_ppp.bin," and now I can see PPP as an option listed when I enter the AT? command in ZTerm. :)

Now, why is the WiFi connection hit-and-miss? Hmmm. :cautious:

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I moved the OldNet WiFi modem. I was able to get it connected to WiFi more reliably. Strange how placement makes a difference.

I got the PPP enabled in Zterm. Then my SE/30 connected to the Internet via MacPPP. However, the connection dropped quickly.

I wonder if 57600 is unreliable, as discussed earlier in this thread. Let's see if 9600 does better the next time I try again later. I don't understand why OldNet is not good at holding the PPP connection.

I may have to look into other WiFi solutions if the OldNet and other WiFi modems are what they are - modems that perform poorly with PPP. Granted, I can set up a PPP server in a small box, but I'd rather have at least ten megabits network connection to WiFi than 9600, 57600, or 115200.