MICHAENTOSH

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
HERE IS THE MOTHERBOARD, NO VISIBLE LEAKAGE BUT SOMETHING IS GOING ON HERE WITH THIS WIRE?
IMG_2766.jpeg

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Probably best to break these posts out into their own diagnostic thread rather than clutter this one.

Reactions: eric

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Probably best to break these posts out into their own diagnostic thread rather than clutter this one.
Agreed. @MICHAENTOSH please create a debugging thread for this sad mac issue over in the Mac Portable Subforum.

Based on the picture, those are the original capacitors. Even if they did not visibly create a pool of fluid on the motherboard, they can fail invisibly or cause corrosion directly underneath the little black plastic pad they sit on (I've seen the latter, looks perfectly clean but failed and corroded underneath). As stated a few times in another thread about the Mac Portable, the original capacitors must be replaced for reliable system operation.

Reactions: wottle

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
New product: The HD68 to Desktop 50 Adapter. Plugs straight into a BlueSCSI or other 50 pin internal Desktop drive and connects to the HD68 bus. Includes a high-byte terminator for situations where that matters.

Low stock availability, these connectors are expensive and I don't want to order a ton of them if there's not much interest.

Crappy product photo is below:
1702417559544.png

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
New product: The HD68 to Desktop 50 Adapter. Plugs straight into a BlueSCSI or other 50 pin internal Desktop drive and connects to the HD68 bus. Includes a high-byte terminator for situations where that matters.

Low stock availability, these connectors are expensive and I don't want to order a ton of them if there's not much interest.

Crappy product photo is below:
View attachment 14266

I presume this would be merely adapting the 16-bit bus to an 8-bit device?

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
FYI, I finally got around to assembling and installing the battery eliminator in my backlight upgraded M5120 and can confirm it works well. I have the 7MB upgrade and the replacement hybrid card. No issues running it today after giving the caps time to charge up.

Reactions: Androda

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Announcing the first entry in the HIDHopper™ adapter series, HIDHopper™ ADB.

This adapter allows you to use modern USB keyboards and mice on your Mac that needs ADB. Has been tested across a few generations of Macs, including the Portable, PB 180, Quadra 700, and some later PowerMacs.

1705579003578.png

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Surprisingly, several people have messaged me recently asking for recreation cables of the Mac Portable M5120 Backlight Upgrade. I didn't think enough of them survived for it to make sense to have a product listing on my site, but here we are.

This is not for the M5126 Backlit Portable, it's a recreation of the backlight upgrade flex cable for original M5120.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Surprisingly, several people have messaged me recently asking for recreation cables of the Mac Portable M5120 Backlight Upgrade. I didn't think enough of them survived for it to make sense to have a product listing on my site, but here we are.

This is not for the M5126 Backlit Portable, it's a recreation of the backlight upgrade flex cable for original M5120.
I can vouch for this product. I picked up a portable with the backlight upgrade that had had the display cable intentionally cut. @Androda was able to sell me a replacement (along with a new hybrid board) and get my machine back up and running.

Reactions: Androda

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
BlueSCSI design update:
The DB25 model went to the gym and lost some weight, now the PCB is only as wide as the DB25 connector. This should help situations like the IIci where SCSI is right next to the display port (wide connector next to a wide adapter).

The previous DB25 Mini will be phased out in favor of this new slimmer style.

endsjustify

New Tinkerer
Feb 8, 2022
Hey for this item: https://androda.work/product/newton-internal-serial-for-2000-2100/

When I download and copy the Internal Device Prefs.pkg from my modern Mac to my LC 575 for installation over the Newton Connection Utility, the NCU cannot see the .pkg as an installable item when connected to my Newton. I simply cannot select it for install as it won't appear in the list. I think the modern Mac is somehow altering the .pkg thinking it is modern Mac install .pkg in some way. Are you aware of an issue there, or is it possible to get this file compressed as a .sit so I can decompress it directly on the LC575 and not have the modern Mac touch the actual .pkg itself?

EDIT: NM, sorted it with Mac PKG fixer.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Hey for this item: https://androda.work/product/newton-internal-serial-for-2000-2100/

When I download and copy the Internal Device Prefs.pkg from my modern Mac to my LC 575 for installation over the Newton Connection Utility, the NCU cannot see the .pkg as an installable item when connected to my Newton. I simply cannot select it for install as it won't appear in the list. I think the modern Mac is somehow altering the .pkg thinking it is modern Mac install .pkg in some way. Are you aware of an issue there, or is it possible to get this file compressed as a .sit so I can decompress it directly on the LC575 and not have the modern Mac touch the actual .pkg itself?

EDIT: NM, sorted it with Mac PKG fixer.

Cheers!
Sorry for the late response. Glad you have it resolved though.

Could you post a link to the Mac PKG fixer tool for future use?