The Apple gods hath smiled upon me.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
A couple of years ago, a former employer that I've kept in touch with provided me with a couple of old PowerBooks. They helped me pass the time while visiting my in-laws out-of-state.

Just last week, he texted me again.

20th-text.jpg

I've been bugging him for a few years about this machine and have repeatedly asked what he wanted for it. I know he knows that I will take good care of it and it will likely have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

I believe this was his partner's computer, who was the president of their ad agency. She used this as a daily driver for a couple of years. I remember it sitting on her desk in her office. Eventually, she got a far more capable computer and this got put into storage, and ultimately made it back to his home at some point.

He used it for many years simply as a stand-alone music player. The Bose unit sounds really good. I've only taken it out of the box and set it up next to a 17" iMac G4. It powers up, but after a while, the screen starts to flicker a bit. I'm sure there's a couple of capacitors that need replacing. The back cover's tabs have broken off from brittleness, so for the time being, Scotch tape will have to do.

Time to learn more about this thing. I'm beyond thrilled to have it, let alone the box and all of the accessories.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
Me: "Of course not!"
Also me: "Where else can I post?"

Seriously, I figure not everyone on those FB pages is on here. If you are, sorry. I'm only slightly excited to have this machine. Thank you for putting up with my noise.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Excellent find! If the LCD ends up defective, correct replacement part numbers should be: Sharp LQ12S11 or Samsung LT121S4-105.
I'm unsure as to whether you would need a different LCD cable to switch between the two manufacturers. In older models you did, and I believe the later iBook Clamshells have that same requirement too, so best replace the LCD with one of the same that's in there now. The PowerBook 3400c and G3 Kanga used these same LCDs, so if you happen to have a spare one of those, that could work.

Kevinlenane

New Tinkerer
Jul 12, 2023
pro tip - it's prob not caps if it buzzes when the screen fails. Theres a fairly easy fix for this.