The Importance Of Older Computers For Learning New Skills

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
I went to the School Of Visual Arts in New York City, from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s. The very first computer class I took was one on desktop publishing. The computers I used were all Macs: an SE & an SE/30. My professor at the time told me something that has remained with me for decades…

"When you decide to buy a computer, the first thing you must consider is-what are you going to use the computer for?"

The class was not cheap: I think it was around $750 in those days. Not long after I started the class, I suddenly realized something-

If you don't have a computer to practice on, you might as well light your wallet on fire. How will you retain what you learned?

So, when I came into New York City to do homework at the SVA computer labs, I'd sign up for extra hours and just play on the various machines. In those days, I was also an Anime fan (long before it became commonplace on American shores and elsewhere). I attended a Anime club known as the CFO (Cartoon/Fantasy Organization) on the third Saturday of the month. A couple of fans I met there had formed a multimedia company, called Vanguard Media. I would hang out at their offices every Saturday and play around on those Macs. Eventually, they helped me get an SE/30 and later, a Power PC 8500/120, which I eventually upgraded to a G3/450 mhz machine with a Sonnet processor.

Too often, in those early days, I'd cry crocodile tears about not being able to afford a new Mac. Little did I know then that obsolescence would become a friend.

Now, I own a number of these same computers I couldn't afford back then-and I also have the corresponding programs to go with them. I learned a number of important lessons, which can particularly apply to those with limited means who want to learn things like Photoshop, Word, or video editing.

Learn on the older computers and software. You have to get your feet wet somehow. Teach yourself skills on the old machines. And networking is SO important. If you're looking for older versions of, let's say, Photoshop and Word to run on your Macs, you can go on eBay. Or ask around. Back when I started, this was MUCH more difficult to achieve. It's not as tough now. I see SO many used computers out there that would be PERFECT starter machines to learn on. And with communities like TinkerDifferent, you can ask people for help so they can point you in the right direction.

Frankly, this is one HUGE reason I am so furious about unnecessary disposal of surplus electronics. Such computers can go to people with limited means who desperately want to learn computer skills.

There are people out there, eager to learn computer skills. Older computers are an invaluable stepping stone.

Saul Trabal

Last edited:

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
As someone who uses old computers every day, I think there's a lot of sense in this. It has always seemed silly to me when I hear some people talk about these machines as if all they're good for is paperweights and dust catchers, because 'back then' these types of systems were the backbone of how even big businesses functioned, and enabled huge progress in a number of industries, businesses and areas of work.

Publishing, photography, design, video production, game playing, even business management and finance, plus others too were all changed beyond recognition over the course of a few years as early information technology developed.

While basic and simple by today's standards, these old machines are still every bit as capable now as they were then, with software that is by and large freely available. The modern-day emphasis on internet-related functionality doesn't prevent a Mac Classic II producing print-ready magazines for publication, G4 PowerMacs from high production standard video, or a DOS system running WordStar from being used to author Game of Thrones.

It isn't all rosy though, because many of these older systems are inherently now unreliable, can be quite expensive to buy, and require somewhat circuitous workflows moving data around - which can make their use problematic, and might even suggest that emulation via newer hardware could in some ways be a more viable tool.

For example, right now on my table I have a Tandy 200, TRS-80 Model 4P, a DOS PC, LC 630 running MacOS 8.1, a Sinclair QL and an Apple IIc. They're all running on a sub-$150 (new) Windows PC under various emulators. Even the cheapest current Windows PC has more than enough power to emulate these old platforms, and of course if you can find one, a Raspberry Pi would be just as capable, but even cheaper. The advantage of this approach is that you can have maybe a dozen or so systems to play with, and hundreds of software titles, whilst also having a modern operating system for when you need it, and modern system reliability. The disadvantage is that you still have to use a modern system, whether Windows, Linux or Mac so there are modern skills needed to some degree, and some would argue the experience of emulation isn't 'real'.

Personally, I have original hardware too, and I generally prefer the actual system to an emulated one, but not always. Plus emulated systems are almost always easy to get data onto and off them, and switched from platform to platform. However, the Windows PC is not just plenty fast enough to cope, but also quite a bit cheaper than even one of the systems it emulates might cost to buy.... and even has a warranty!

Reactions: 2112st

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Great post, Yoda! :D

Let me touch on folks with limited means again-let's say, a kid or a young adult who seriously wants to learn about graphic design, but can't afford a new Mac or a subscription service with Adobe. Solution? Get. let's say a 2008-2009 iMac. (This machine I'm on now is my daily workhorse-a 2011 27" iMac.) You can go on eBay to get copies of the software, or through networking with people. Also! If you want to buy tutorials, you can go on Amazon, used book sites: or thrift shops and book sales at libraries!! I found some REALLY cool books in the last two examples which helped me to learn certain skills! I cannot stress enough how valuable used book sales at libraries and thrift shops are! There are gems to be found.

Using all these tools, you develop the skills you need, and even a portfolio of your work! Who knows? They may actually help you get an in at a company willing to take on new talent! :)

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Yoda-a little personal side note...my most recent acquisition (a year ago, maybe?) was a 2012 MacBook Air. I LOVE this machine. I needed a portable typewriter and something to do web surfing on . When this machine was new, I think it was just under $1000. I got it for $175 off of Mac Of All Trades. Great site, BTW-I've bought 4 of my Macs from them, including this iMac. I'm in the middle of editing a number of stories I want to sell-a couple of which I might try to e-publish myself. I'm also designing covers for those stories.

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Well... a mini PC for $71, 15-inch HDMI monitor, $69, Windows 10 (preinstalled), Basilisk II (free), MacOS 8.1 (actually turns out to be 7.5.3, but free anyway), bunch of applications.... (free), plus a lot more on macintoshgarden.org, not to mention also a whole lot of games (free).

And this same Mac - or at least the working boot drive for it - with Linux and MacOS copies of Basilisk II also works on those platforms. Plus, it's fully interactive with Windows (and Linux and Mac), and with other emulators on the system too. Actually, this screenshot is from the Mac install because that's what I have booted right now, but it looks and works the same on the PC.

The same basic idea, but a slightly different approach. Admittedly the PC is not the best in class for sure, though certainly capable enough.

Where doing it this way is not ideal, is that it doesn't save old systems from the landfill, but a lot more are finding their way onto eBay these days, judging by the prices.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 10.45.18 AM.png

• Love

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
I digitized my LP collection and half my cassette collection using a PowerMac 8600.

I also used that Mac as a VCR using iDo script scheduler, OneClick macros, and Adobe Premiere 5.1LE. Video in was via cable box to Sony digital8 camcorder to Firewire PCI card. I made video CD’s of my recordings with it, using Toast. I used it with a multisystem VCR as a PAL to NTSC converter to watch videotapes I had bought in the UK on my TV in America.

I used it as a fax machine, photocopier, photograph digitizer, word processor, video game console, and for web browsing. I used it to design and print greeting cards to send to friends and family.

It can still do all those things (although it needs the assistance of Browservice on my Home Theater PC to access the web).

Not bad for a paperweight.

• Love