The Performa 5210 Disaster

alectrona2988

New Tinkerer
Mar 10, 2022
k24a1.fleepy.tv
Nearly a couple months back, I won an auction on YAJP for a Macintosh Performa 5210 with a keyboard, mouse, and its original sofware discs it came with. Problem? With sendico, I had to use FedEx to ship it as I didn't have other viable options at the time, and I was told surface mail was not going to work.
The rest is history. FedEx mishandled the package, yet Sendico received it no problem. Seems like the red fragile tape just wasn't enough?
20220510_203356.jpg20220510_203602.jpg20220510_203612.jpg20220510_204147.jpg
There's also a lesson to be learned here... having CRTs shipped to you is a dangerous game, and I didn't realize how fragile these were until after the fact.
Luckily, not all hope is lost as I can piece it back together with superglue, baking soda, and a lot of precision work... I might even repaint the case if I feel like it, in which I am most likely to do so anyway.
On the bright side, everything else came in fine and the computer does work! The problem is... getting it back into a usable state. I'm definitely going to have to take this computer apart so I can get this back together.

This was a rushed impulse buy I didn't think twice about, and I wish I hadn't bothered in the first place. I'm sure there would have been someone smarter overseas to buy this to mess with, but no one else was bidding on it either way. :/