The Secret History of Mac Gaming: Expanded Edition

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
(p.63)
"In order to encourage more registrations, Buckland had promised to send the sequel, Crystal Quest, to anyone who paid for Crystal Raider. 'I had absolutely no idea what Crystal Quest was going to be,' he admits. When people started paying money he thought he'd better get to work on it straight away."

Hahaha wow, that's ballsy even by modern age kickstarter standards!

• Haha
Reactions: KingDingus and eric

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
I received my copy today.
It looks full of great content, and I’ll enjoy reading it, but I must say that the layout is super basic… it’s a pity they didn’t put attention to font styles, margins and these things.

DeChief

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Sydney, Australia
linktr.ee
A fantastic book by a fellow Australian, it's impressive how many people Richard Moss managed to get in touch with for these interviews. I keep my copy right next to my 512Ke where it belongs!

Db8g42AV0AA-rxR
259596360_268686608617475_3825480772717202278_n.jpg

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
Cross post from 68kmla: Anyone else missing a page in the Glider section? There's a page with a F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 graphic instead of the page that's supposed to be there in my book (page 281 instead of 251).

Reactions: Mu0n

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Cross post from 68kmla: Anyone else missing a page in the Glider section? There's a page with a F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 graphic instead of the page that's supposed to be there in my book (page 281 instead of 251).

Yep! I have p.281 instead of p.251 as well. I hadn't reached that spot yet. That's unfortunate.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
If you also get the Expanded Edition and don't want two copies, donate the original to a library!
If there was a Japanese version that might work. It's a bit more complex to do that here in Japan though. :) Even so, I'm still happy with my first edition book. Besides, for all I know, there might be a 3rd edition coming out! ;-)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I'll buy your 1st ed. if the shipping to Norway isn't extortionate :)

Really? You can PM me if you like, but it's probably best that I describe the 1st ed. book I own in a little more detail...

It weighs 1.1kg, but with a box and packing added I suspect it would be about 1350kg. Shipping cost from Japan to Europe (Norway) for that weight would be roughly the following at today's exchange rate:
  • Japan Post EMS express airmail to Europe is ¥4850 (€35).
  • Japan Post Int'l ePacket (registered airmail with tracking) is ¥2350 (€17).
  • Japan Post Small Packet Airmail (no tracking or insurance) is ¥2040 (€15).
(For sake of comparison, I checked how much the expanded edition book would cost if I had Bitmap Books ship to me from Europe using their standard DHL shipping method, and it says: £19.95/¥3300/€24.)

Please note, however, that when the book was originally shipped to me, it was not packed securely inside the box, such that it moved around a bit, resulting in a slight wrinkle on the bottom of the spine (see below), and there's a little imperfection in one of the corners on the back side too (also shown below). It also doesn't have the pretty blue gilding like the expanded edition.

I've otherwise taken great care of the book, with no marked pages, and I tried not to open it too wide so as not to break down the strength of the spine. Except for the aforementioned imperfections due to inadequate packing when shipped to me, the book is in otherwise pristine condition. But again, if you change your mind after seeing this, I fully understand. Having a 100% flawless book is always preferred. And truly, that is what I hoped to receive when I originally ordered it.

IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3187.JPG

Last edited:

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I too got a copy with ~30 pages missing, replied to my order email and got a replacement order notification in 1 minute. I'll defiantly be buying some more books from this place. I'll donate the missprint to my library.

Reactions: skate323k137

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I too got a copy with ~30 pages missing, replied to my order email and got a replacement order notification in 1 minute. I'll defiantly be buying some more books from this place. I'll donate the missprint to my library.
Eric, I didn't notice missing pages in mind. What pages were missing in yours?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
My book has 250-281.

The only thing I don't like about the 1st edition is that there isn't much margin around the text. While I can appreciate they wanted to pack as much test as possible onto the page, it just looks odd with pretty much no margin white-space around the text. Does the expanded edition retain that look? Based on the thickness, it probably does. They would either need to add more pages or reduce text size to expand the margins.