Tinker Different 2024 Calendar Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
It's time to get out your cameras and your favourite piece of vintage kit and submit your photo entry into the Tinker Different 2024 calendar competition. It doesn't have to be a computer, it might be a game console, a boom box, a camera, a car or a television. It just needs to be vintage. Just take an original and creative photo of your favourite vintage doohickey or thingamajig, then submit it in a reply to this forum thread. There is a maximum of two photo entries per individual.

The Tinker Different board will select the top 12 photos to be published in our very first Tinker Different 2024 calendar, which will go on sale towards the end of 2023. All entrants who have their photo published will receive a free copy of the calendar. In addition, the top 3 photos will also receive a prize (yet to be confirmed).

The calendar will also highlight some of the important dates and anniversaries (well, important to us geeks) such as December 12 (Apple went public), or August 12 (IBM 5150 release). So please check out this accompanying thread where you can submit a date that's important to your tech hobby for our consideration.

Terms and Conditions
  1. Entry into this competition deems acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
  2. The competition is open to Tinker Different users only.
  3. Submitted photographs must be the original work of the entrant.
  4. Photographs must feature a vintage item (or items).
  5. A limit of two (2) images per entrant will be accepted. Each entry will be judged individually.
  6. Photographs can be taken in any style or format (black and white or colour).
  7. Photographs must be provided as JPEG files in landscape aspect ratio (turn those phones on their side please) and of a suitable resolution for print reproduction (5 megapixels or greater).
  8. The entrant accepts sole responsibility for ensuring that the work submitted does not infringe on any relevant copyright.
  9. The competition commences with the posting of this announcement.
  10. All entries must be received by midnight GMT on the 31st August 2023.
  11. Winners will be announced on the Tinker Different forum no later than midnight GMT, 7th September 2023.
  12. Photographs will be judged on their creativity and originality.
  13. All decisions from the Tinker Different board are final.
  14. All entries are to be available for reproduction and/or publication by Tinker Different with copyright being retained by the photographer.
  15. Tinker Different will not be liable for any third party misuse of images.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
JHL_7246.JPG
Would like to submit this for March, since that's when Nikon introduced the F3 camera in 1980. Production continued through 2001 for general public usage and through 2004 for the US military.

techknight

Staff member
Dec 2, 2021
North Carolina
Oooh, I will play! Here is a picture of my WeatherSTAR 4000 I had fully reverse engineered and got running again with my own custom software. This is running a dual-68K setup with a pair of MCS51 CPUs as well, along with a ATMega and a Pi acting as the host. Also a picture of it being displayed on my 1981 RCA TV.

1687390126957.png

1687390348165.png

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I have so many to choose from it's hard choosing two...

I think I need to start with these guys though.. they look amazing, and sound even better. And in <redacted>'s words... "Our best co-branded product ever".

These are first gen - you can tell as they have the actual Apple logo on them. After a complaint by Apple Records the next version of these had a simple square rainbow badge instead...

IMG_3169.jpeg

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
As much as I'd like to include one of my Macs, I think I have to go for this gem. It's a 1950's vintage telephone from Ericsson - the Ericofon, or colloquially known as the "Cobra" for obvious reasons. In the early runs these were available in 18 different colours, but by the end of the 50's the colours were reduced down to 8 (interestingly never available in black). The classic styling has seen these used in many period movies etc, and as pieces of art in museums (including MOMA).

In case you're wondering the rotary dial is on the base of the unit...

IMG_3174.jpeg

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
This is a fascinating and beautiful object. Love the color! It looks like Jony Ive could have designed it. Did it come in translucent blue & white?

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Two "related" items that I enjoy in my collection. The bunnyman wanders in from time to time...

Attachments

• Macintosh_Sign.jpeg
    Macintosh_Sign.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Macintosh_Office.jpg
    Macintosh_Office.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Bunnyman_Mac.jpg
    Bunnyman_Mac.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 85

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I am not a board member, but being an Admin I may not qualify to enter. Even so, I am not seeing many photos in this thread, unfortunately, so I felt there would be no harm in adding a couple of mine, both of which I shot many years ago and which have been on my Flickr account for ages. The HD20 photo below was shot by me in 2007, and the TechStep closeup is from 2009. Sorry about the square shape of the TechStep photo, but that is how I originally shot it.

Hopefully this thread gets many more interesting entries that will result in a truly fabulous calendar!

TechStep_Keypad.jpg

HD20-Front.jpg

The above are just thumbnails, so be sure to click to get the full resolution images.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I am not a board member, but being an Admin I may not qualify to enter. Even so, I am not seeing many photos in this thread, unfortunately, so I felt there would be no harm in adding a couple of mine, both of which I shot many years ago and which have been on my Flickr account for ages. The HD20 photo below was shot by me in 2007, and the TechStep closeup is from 2009. Sorry about the square shape of the TechStep photo, but that is how I originally shot it.

Hopefully this thread gets many more interesting entries that will result in a truly fabulous calendar!

View attachment 12777

View attachment 12778

The above are just thumbnails, so be sure to click to get the full resolution images.
Yes, you qualify! Entry isn't excluding any member at all!

• Love
Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Specifically, the rule in the opening post says this...

1. Photographs must be provided as JPEG files in landscape aspect ratio (turn those phones on their side please) and of a suitable resolution for print reproduction (5 megapixels or greater).
The rule doesn't specify details like 4:3 versus 16:9 though. Now that I examine my two submissions, I see that both are in fact 4:3. (Wider than taller, which is what Landscape means.)

Status
Not open for further replies.