TinkerDifferent Game Server - Now testing!

Thank you Kai! It works again and we played a few rounds yesterday but got badly beaten up by the bots every single time.

Any chance for a server for people with reflexes 40+? :cool:

It'd also be cool to play some of the team-based UT99 multiplayer options for a change? Humans vs Bots promises fun :)

Knezzen

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2021
Sweden
system7today.com
Great server @Kai Robinson! Consider adding the server to 333networks new master server to get some more widespread use :)

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
WORLD OF WARCRAFT - WRATH OF THE LICH KING SERVER IS NOW LIVE!
Until we can put up an account creation page, just DM me if you want an account, and i'll generate an account and password for you.

In order to play, the easiest thing to do is install the vanilla WoW, the Burning Crusade expansion, the Wrath of the Lich King expansion and then patch to v3.3.5a.

Once installed, edit your realmlist.wtf file to include only the following:

set realmlist "games.tinkerdifferent.com"

PC Requirements (Minimum):

Pentium 4 or Athlon XP, 1GB RAM, GPU with 32MB RAM, Windows XP SP3 or higher

Mac Requirements (Minimum):

G4 or higher (technically it'll run on a G3 but...not well), 1GB RAM, GPU with 32MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11 or higher

Last edited:

xenocide21

New Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2023
Official System Requirements (At time of release):
PC - Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP @ 1.3GHz, 512MB RAM, 32MB 3D Graphics card (Radeon 7200, GeForce 2 or better)
Mac- G5, Intel Processor @ 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9600

On low settings, it runs very poorly on the 900MHz iBook G3 upon doing anything more than killing boars in elwynn forest. With experience running the game on many systems my recommended minimum specs are as followed:

PC: 2GHz or better CPU, 512MB RAM, 64MB Video Card or better, Windows XP/Vista
Mac: Any G4 1.0GHz or better, 512MB RAM, 64MB Radeon 9000 or better, Mac OS X 10.4.11+

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
For anyone who gets stuck installing patch 3.2.2a-3.3.0 (doesn't run, gives no error), it just needs execute permissions.

Open terminal and chmod 777 the executable in the patch. Can't remember the exact file name now, but it'll be something like:

chmod 777 /Path/to/patch/Contents/MacOS/patch_file_here

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
Can't login. I get "Unable to validate game version. This may be caused by file corruption...."

I am running version 3.3.5 (12213) Release, PowerPC June 8 2010, on OS X 10.4.11.

My wtf file has:

set realm list games.tinkerdifferentcom
set patchlist enUS.patch.battle.net
set realmlistbn ""
set portal us

But I get the same error if I just have the realm list line (with our without quotes around games.tinkerdifferent.com).

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Realmlist is one word, there's a dot between the tinkerdifferent and com - also, remove everything else below the first line - not needed :)

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
That's just a typo in my post here. It is correct on the G4. But I see the issue. I've somehow managed to download and install the "rare" (or so Reddit tells me) 3.3.5 patch and not the 3.3.5a patch. So I'm on the hunt for the 3.3.5-3.3.5a patch. Easy to find the Windows version, haven't found the OS X one yet.

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
Thanks. I'm in. I couldn't find the patch (for Mac, found it for PC) so I wiped the game install and reinstalled everything with the correct 3.3.5a patch at the end. Was quite painful as I seem to have a bad IDE to SATA adapter that dropped the transfer rate to about 2mb. Took a few hours.

But the game now runs fine and I could log in. Only problem is I have no time to play now! Ah well, I've got some time off Friday.

• Haha
Reactions: Kai Robinson

xenocide21

New Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2023
Thanks. I'm in. I couldn't find the patch (for Mac, found it for PC) so I wiped the game install and reinstalled everything with the correct 3.3.5a patch at the end. Was quite painful as I seem to have a bad IDE to SATA adapter that dropped the transfer rate to about 2mb. Took a few hours.

But the game now runs fine and I could log in. Only problem is I have no time to play now! Ah well, I've got some time off Friday.
Yeah i found patching up to the latest wrath version was quite difficult, it took me many hours to track down the patches for mac, and i could only find the US Patch set. one must pay close attention to the patches and make sure you are following the correct route. Macintosh Garden has been updated with vanilla, tbc, and wrath US disk sets with US patch sets, for anyone else in the future, however we are also working on a full client download and it will be hosted from the WoW server itself, so it should be easier in the future to connect.

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
Being Canadian I am fluent in both British and American English :p but I installed the US versions from Mac Garden. Makes no difference with the games.tinkerdifferent.com server does it? Just personal preference?

xenocide21

New Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2023
Being Canadian I am fluent in both British and American English :p but I installed the US versions from Mac Garden. Makes no difference with the games.tinkerdifferent.com server does it? Just personal preference?
it only makes a difference when it comes to available patch sets, the UK patch set is missing presently, and you cannot upgrade the UK Wraith client to 3.3.5a

Reactions: Doug_M

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
The WoW server is working great and I've been having fun. But it is empty (at least when I've been playing). Perhaps adding some bots would be good? I don't know if they can be added retroactively or if one needs to use a different server (i.e. CMangos) altogether.

xenocide21

New Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2023
The WoW server is working great and I've been having fun. But it is empty (at least when I've been playing). Perhaps adding some bots would be good? I don't know if they can be added retroactively or if one needs to use a different server (i.e. CMangos) altogether.
I am not sure if or how playerbots can be added to mangostwo. though if you are familiar with running mangos servers we might could use another admin, you can speak with Kai about it if thats something you are interested in.

Reactions: Kai Robinson

Doug_M

New Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2024
Nova Scotia
I'v been reading the mangosbot (by Ike3) docs on GitHub and it would seem Mangos Two is excluded. It doesn't appear to be a separate add-on either but rather a fork of Mangos. So to add playerbots the TinkerDifferent WoW server would have to be scrapped in its entirety and replaced. Probably not something that Kai wants to do lol.

EDIT: The Aerothcore WotLK with playerbots fork I'm running at home is this one: https://github.com/liyunfan1223/azerothcore-wotlk (install vid:
and text: https://abs.freemyip.com:84/api/public/dl/dOIVokJQ/installation.txt?inline=true). It works well, you can have alts that can be brought in as playerbots which you can then group with, and/or the world can be filled with playerbots running around doing stuff on their own. Something like this would be a fun second server of TD. And yes I can certainly help out if Kai wants.

Last edited:

AdeptRapier

New Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
This is really cool! Thank you for this. If I could ask a question, I have always wanted to do something like this at my home on my Mac Pro running Mojave and setup private servers for games that only I can access on a private network. Can you recommend a good guide on how to do something like this like you did here for the community? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not too savvy on how to setup private servers for games.

Thanks!!

:)