Toilet Running, no visible float

mikhamora9

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
My toilet is continuously filling but I can't find the float. There's the tube with the buttons, an overflow tube and a sealed grey box connected to a tube to the bottom of the cistern inside it. The grey box has CL and a line on it, so I presume it gets the level from there. But it doesn't unscrew or unclip easily so it's hard to tell. How can I adjust the fill level please?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I assume your toilet has some sort of Fill valve assembly. On the top of the valve there should be a screw that you can turn clockwise or counter clockwise to increase or drop the water fill line. Any way to snap a pic?

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Pic would help one searched online would be best. Fill valves go after a few years and are very easily replaced. In US or elsewhere? Local folks would be of help if the assembly is different standard.

Some valves have a box at top with a tiny float inside. I prefer the cylindrical float. just adjusted the kiddo's the other day, it was filling whenever it felt like it.

denekhis

New Tinkerer
Apr 18, 2022
If there is no ball cock than it is either:
A float cup toilet fill valve
A floatless, pressure-activated and anti-siphon valve
or
A pressure- and vacuum-assisted valve
If you do not know about these, it's probably best to just replace the entire toilet

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Where's the toilet and what are the local/national standards?

Here in the US, there are almost universal replacement part kits available for under 30 bucks that restore a toilet to brand new condition other than the ceramics. I like the kit that includes a flush lever that fits the vast majority of tanks, that one part in the kit alone costs a minimum of about 6 bucks.