Trouble with SE

Devalis

New Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2021
I am trying to get my SE up and running from being battery bombed. I actually went the way of buying the new PCB and I rebuilt it. While I was testing before rebuilding the board, I lost video. I recapped the power supply and analog board with no changes. I reflowed all the solder joints on the analog board and the neck board. I checked power at the PCB connector and all of those voltages are present, but I am not getting any neck glow or high voltage on the front. Any ideas where I should look next? I tried with and without the logic board and there is no difference in behavior.

SolitairePilot

New Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
Make sure all the wires and especially the screwed-in ground wire from the CRT are secure and there is no corrosion that could be preventing a proper connection. When I was working on my first compact mac I was dumbfounded by the fact that I had no video sometimes, turned out just to be the cable going from the Digital to Analog board being loose. A quick spray of Deoxit and some plugging and unplugging usually solves the problem. Remember, these old Macs do not display any picture if the Digital board is not connected. If that's not the problem, inspect the CRT itself. Perhaps it experienced a fracture which released the vacuum if worse came to worse.

Devalis

New Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2021
Update:
So far, I have checked voltages at the floppy port and all are within spec.
I have checked the clock at the CPU and I am getting one.
I have checked the address and data busses and there appears to be activity.
I reflowed the entire analog board.
I have NOT noted any startup chime.
I do NOT have high voltage at the CRT.
I have since replaced the two AM26LS32s with no change in behavior.
I am waiting on a replacement AM26LS30 and sound chip. I am replacing them since they were in the damaged area, and I
accidentally inserted a few of them backwards, getting them very hot.

Am I on the right track here?