USB problems in OS 9.2.2 on iMac G3 (slot loaded)

VicNor

Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2022
Sweden
So I've swapped out the not so happy hard drive for a CF card in my recently acquired iMac G3. In the process I changed system on the G3 from OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar to OS 9.2.2.

I noticed that there was a problem when I wanted to connect my USB floppy drive. It had worked just fine under Jaguar and works ok on my modern Windows machine (all USB floppy drives are sh*t). Now the drive sort of crash OS 9. You can move the mouse but not click on anything. Other drives don't react at all, like a 10 year old Sandisk SD card reader. While a USB hard drive at least reports to Apple System Info that there's a USB-to-IDE device connected (the drive is unfortunately formated in exFAT). I got a 10+ year old 4Gb thumb drive that also makes the same weird thing with the mouse as the floppy drive.

I've double checked the extensions and both SerialShimLib (v1.5.6) and USB Mass Storage Support (v2.1.1) extensions are loaded. I've tried to swap some of the USB extensions (not all were included) from the 9.2.2 US install that came with QEMU but no luck. I got some third party USB-to-IDE extensions installed.

Any suggestions what to do or what might be wrong?

VicNor

Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2022
Sweden
I installed OS 9.1 on the computer (via a questionable burn from a Windows machine). USB drives worked just fine. I transplanted the drivers from 9.1 to 9.2.2. It would still didn't work. The difference was that "USB Mass Storage Support" is only found in 9.2.2, so I deactivated it in the Expansions manager. USB drives works just fine now.