VCFMW?

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Anyone else going to VCFMW this weekend? I'm planning to be there with a couple of friends. Looks like our tables will be very near the "free pile" - hope that's not dangerous - the goal is to come home with less than I bring!

Apple stuff I'm going to have for sale include a Lisa with a bad Widget but two working Profiles, a Quadra 950, an original 5GB click-wheel iPod and some small misc stuff. Might have some Newton stuff if I have time to gather and test.

Will also have some serial terminals including a real VT-100 and an ADM3-A, a Sparc 4, a Motorola Powerstack, and whatever else will fit in the car after that. My friend is bringing a NeXT Cube and a bunch of other stuff. Come find us if you have a chance!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
In light of the entire world going online due to COVID, you'd think anyone would be able to "attend" online in a similar manner to how Apple has been doing WWDC. Yes indeed, that should also include digital tables stacked to the ceiling with bad Widget Lisas for sale and all that. Remotely haggle over price and shipping. Physical attendance is so "early 2000's"! :) 😷 Especially so when you cannot leave your country because they impose a stupid 2 week quarantine upon your return regardless of vaccination status, forcing you to have a special app on your phone to track you under threat of deportation. I couldn't even fly to California to get my daughter setup for her first year of college there due to those restrictions, so she had to make the international flight alone instead. The world has gone mad, I tell you. Mad!

• Sad
Reactions: Mr. Fahrenheit

MacEffects

Administrator
Sep 3, 2021
I will certainly be coming. However, I know that many have choose not to venture out which I totally respect. With situations where we have government officials shaming people for choices, right or wrong, I cannot say that I support that. I always feel that you should be the best you and do what you feel. I hope more people out there can adopt this approach.

Reactions: JDW

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
There certainly was a good vibe going at the show - people really enjoyed being there physically. I was happy to see that almost without exception everyone was masked, and liberally using the hand sanitizer that was available all over the venue. I know I enjoyed seeing old friends and new friends in person.

MacEffects

Administrator
Sep 3, 2021
@ScutBoy totally agree! I was pleasantly surprised to see that everyone was masked up and respecting the rules regardless of whether the agreed. It is that kind of community respect that makes VCF fun. Everyone there is just out to have fun and share experiences. I'm already looking forward to next year, but I think I'll be planning things a bit better from now on given that I was "late" to setup. Plus I missed all the Friday fun :)

torbar

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
I was planning on VCF Midwest, but decided to stay home as well. I am likely going to VCF East in NJ in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: JDW