What's this ADB dongle?

Purdy

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
I have two of these ADB dongles and I have no idea what they do. Since there are no other ports on the dongle, I'm guessing it's a form of copy protection, but does anybody know for what application? Both of the dongles are cracked open like this. The only text I can read on the plastic says Alcon.

IMG-6840.jpg
IMG-6839.jpg
IMG-6841.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
That's strange - looks like a devboard (eg not a production board) and has a missing USB header on the bottom. Can you read the markings on the chip? also there is some words under the cable Pro.... ?

Purdy

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
I lifted up the cable and found a good clue. It says Pro Micron. So it looks like it's an Arduino board very similar to the link below, but minus the USB header. (you can even see the white outline for a USB header on the PCB)

My best guess is that it was a unfinished ADB-USB adapter? The original owner is sadly deceased, but he did not appear to be a component level tinkerer. I didn't see a single soldering iron among in his workshop.

EDIT: I did a little more digging, and it's definitively an Arduino board with an ADB interface. The pullup resistor matches the config of some Arduino ADB/USB adapters . But it has no USB port. Unfinished ADB to PS/2 adapter? Is there anything else people are using Arduinos for on an ADB-era Mac?

Last edited:
Reactions: eric

warmech

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Huh... Alcon. They're an optics company here in Fort Worth off of I-35W. What on earth is that thing, lol? Surely that couldn't have come from them, could it?