XServe without a rack?

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
So, I'm totally inexperienced in the server space, but there's an XServe available in my area for what seems like a decent price. My issue is that space is limited, and I'm wondering whether a rack-mounted server like this can be run without a rack to mount it to? Like, could I just set this up under my bed and expect it to not go belly-up on me? Alterately, what would be some inexpensive low-profile rack solutions if I only need to mount this one server? My thoughts are to hook it up to my iMac G4 as a LAN file server - it comes with three 2TB drives already installed.

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Okay, cool! That's good to know. Though thinking about it a bit more, and I think my space and money would be better served just getting a few more vintage Mac Minis to run alongside the one I already have, and learning how to set those up as a kind of cluster. It would also be kind of hilarious to fabricate a rack for a stack of these little guys…

Although, dang, it'd be good to be able to connect this monstrosity to the iMac via firewire…

Oh! But a G4 or G5 tower could also run the XServer software, and look pretty snazzy to boot, and be a little more affordable and easier to upgrade…

pretzelFTW

New Tinkerer
Sep 5, 2022
While you don't need a rack, you can get one for not that much money. I have something like this in my basement. Should fit an Xserve I think.

Totally unnecessary but it does boost my geek cred when people visit ;)

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Oh man these are both amazing and ridiculous. I've decided I'm not ready to go all-in on a server *yet*, but I'm glad to see that a proper rack mount is not at all necessary.

Douglas

New Tinkerer
Feb 10, 2023
Yup, you can run an XServe without a rack, but watch out for airflow if you stash it under your bed. For a cheap rack solution, check out low-profile or wall-mount options.

Reactions: indigo_k

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I would 110% do the lack rack if I wanted to be single.

It *would* make for an awesome conversation piece in the living room and reminds me of right before I met my wife I had a BB iMac g3 slot loader pointed straight up through a glass top end table which I used as a juke box because iMacs are cool, iTunes 9.2.1 for the win and electricity was cheap.

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Yup, you can run an XServe without a rack, but watch out for airflow if you stash it under your bed. For a cheap rack solution, check out low-profile or wall-mount options.
Ooh! Wallmount is an interesting option! I'll have to look into that for sure when I'm ready.