YMK's minimalist MacEffects SE

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
This is a Mac SE logic board with Hitachi PSU (everything recapped) in a @MacEffects Rev B case.

It doesn't have a steel frame or power supply enclosure.

Instead, some 3D printed parts help hold it all together, exposing nearly every square inch of PCB.

It's also missing a fan. A section of the case near the handle is cut away to allow for passive convection cooling.

The boot device is a MacSD with its SD card slot and USB port accessible through the floppy slot.

The internals are illuminated by 58 0603 amber LEDs.

side1.jpg

The internal lighting produces a neat effect through the analog board:

ab.jpg

A section near the handle is cut away for convection cooling:

vent.jpg

This is the "with defects" Rev B case that can have a cloudy appearance. The case seems to respond well to the same products and processes applied to automotive clear coats. I was able to eliminate much of the fogginess with rubbing compound, polish and wax. I'm very happy with how this turned out and would recommend these great cases to anyone.

Last edited:

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Wow, awesome! :)

So, how did you ground the high voltage without the metal chassis?

In the first picture, you can see the power supply is grounded to the power input.

Logic and analog boards are grounded through the power supply.

Reactions: retr01

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
@YMK Would you be willing to share your designs for the 3D printed parts?

Provided free for non-commercial use. The part is divided into two models to fit within the bed of most printers. For my SE, I joined the two pieces with a soldering iron. The STLs will need modifications for other power supplies.

1678778854627.png

Attachments

• mse_psu_plate.stl.zip
    38.5 KB · Views: 62