You on Mastodon?

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I recently migrated over - I'd say this is what I always thought "social media" should be vs. what it became - a federated system (like email - everyone can be on different services and still talk to each other). Feels a lot like the early days, where you just run into cool people/projects/links.

There's quite a few vintage computer users there already - @Action Retro even runs a server open for vintage computer users at https://bitbang.social

If you're on there and want to share you're profile link reply below! Here's mine:

Also there are vintage clients popping up

- Macstodon (written in python 1.5 - runs on MacOS 7+) https://github.com/smallsco/macstodon
- DOStodon - https://github.com/SuperIlu/DOStodon
- Windows 95 https://github.com/meyskens/mastodon-for-workgroups *thanks @Patrick !

Last edited:

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
ericsedge

Eric's Edge@[email protected]

“Ask me about HyperCard”
Neo Maxi Zoom Dweebie/Nerd
Member of the Second Breakfast Club
_SDGOL_ Supreme Dark Galactic Overload (to his kids)
I'm all about vintage computers, Apple Macintosh, TI 99/4A, Apple IIe, Commodore 64 and vintage analog medium/large format film photography.

Currently working on a HyperCard authoring series on YouTube, as well as vintage Apple II programming.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Already scraped my twitter network 3-4 times over the last 2 weeks, but if you want to add me, feel free:

Last edited:

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Mastodon feels like Facebook before it got totally commercialized...you see posts from people you follow rather than from advertisers trying and commercially oriented searches like Google has become.

I tend to follow particular subjects and topics that interest me rather than people. Personally I find that people aren't really all that interesting (myself included) so forums work better for me. Many years ago I was on Facebook, but my interest in what people had for breakfast waned quickly, and it turned out to be utterly useless for keeping track of...well, anything. Dropped FB 6-7 years ago. Been a forum user for 20 years, I guess old habits (that suit me) die hard :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I tend to follow particular subjects and topics that interest me rather than people. Personally I find that people aren't really all that interesting (myself included) so forums work better for me. Many years ago I was on Facebook, but my interest in what people had for breakfast waned quickly, and it turned out to be utterly useless for keeping track of...well, anything. Dropped FB 6-7 years ago. Been a forum user for 20 years, I guess old habits (that suit me) die hard :)
I grew weary of FB for the exact same reason. I didn't care for what my "friends" were eating or their chain-mail style memes. However, I chose to say on FB because I live outside my home country and still have a lot of friends and family on FB. It's a way to keep in touch. But more than that these days, I tend to jump on FaceBook to read posts in vintage Mac and Apple related Groups like Vintage Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts. I much prefer this forum for longer posts, for seeing multiple photos and videos, and for searching for ANYTHING! But the fact remains that a lot of retro geeks still use FaceBook, so it's worth retaining an account there.

The one thing I never use is Discord. I think it's a generational thing. I'm not really into chatty style discussions because (1) it's hard for me to follow, (2) the discussion floats among different topics rapidly, posting a lot of pics and searching for things is about as annoying as FaceBook. This forum beats Discord hands down for me.

I've never been on Twitter, except to enter a contest once in a blue moon, so Mastodon was never on my radar. It is interesting to read through this thread though and see how many of you seem attracted to it.

In the end, there are so many different forms of social media, it all gets very bewildering and time consuming. FaceBook Groups and this forum are two things I can handle, above and beyond YouTube (which is a form of social media).

Reactions: Alf Torp

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
Finally got on earlier this month!

Reactions: eric

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Mastodon feels like Facebook before it got totally commercialized...
same token. Mastodon feels like twitter before it got populer. Or what app.net felt like when it was alive. topics are interesting. people are doing interesting things.. there isn't a lot of popular people.

Although, maybe i'm not one to ask. i've never liked the popular things. (was a mac kid growing up when all my friends had 486 and pentiums)

Mind you, not BECUSE they were popular or not popular. just what i tend to enjoy just tend to not be what is popular.

The one thing I never use is Discord. I think it's a generational thing. I'm not really into chatty style discussions
So you were never into IRC ?

because we had chatty type discussions even 30 or 40 years ago i don't think its a generational thing. Some people, regardless of age, like chatty style things more or less.

+1 to forums btw. really glad forums is not dead yet.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I've used:
BBSes on a 1200 Hayes Smartmodem up to. 56.6k
IRC
Forums
ICQ, MSN, YIM, Gchat, AIM
Google Wave
Google+, Facebook, MeWe, Mastodon
Discord

Agreed that Discord demands too much of your attention for what it can give you, if and only if you don't have the time to constantly monitor it (which is me), but it has its uses for immediate assistance when you need it.

johnklos

New Tinkerer
Sep 5, 2021
I can be found at @[email protected]

Happy to share my server with anyone who's concerned about extremists causing server issues and/or people losing interest in maintaining their server and/or not keeping up on security.

For now I've mostly only been putting up NetBSD pkgsrc package counts, but when I have time to start playing with some of my older systems, I'll have tips, information and how-tos :)

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I've used:
BBSes on a 1200 Hayes Smartmodem up to. 56.6k
My first computer was the 128K in 1984; and at the time, I had a 300 baud Maccessories portable modem, which included a nifty soft case...

1672883902646.png

Back then, even that pathetically slow modem cost $140...

1672883966325.png

But it still cost less than the $200+ that was common for 300 baud at the time, and 1200 baud was a crazy $500 or more.

I dialed local numbers to get on my favorite BBSs to: (1) play text/ASCII games, (2) debate religion & politics, and (3) download Mac apps. Downloading was my favorite part of it, but 300 baud made that painful, even for a 100K of data! When I later had a 2400 baud modem, I was really cruising!

I probably would have liked chatty style IRC channels back then, but I was so busy with other things in my life, I had to limit my time to the basics. And that is really what I do today. I deem what is most important, and stick with that, while occasionally dipping my toes in something new, just so I can say I've tried it. I make time these days for TinkerDifferent, various FaceBook groups, Flickr, and YouTube — when dealing with non-family, non-business. And I use FaceTime, Messages, Skype and Talkatone for my family and business communcations. I have no time or desire for Twitter, Mastodon, Instagram, or Discord. Okay, well, I use Twitter maybe a couple times a year to enter a giveaway. I did win a book from an AppleInsider giveaway about a year ago, so it is worth it, I think. :)

But forums like this one are really awesome, and that's why I'm thankful so many great people got together to bring TinkerDifferent together.

• Love
Reactions: Patrick