630 mini?

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
BC4D0C11-050C-4603-A95B-AF9B17AB3309.jpeg

Via Pinterest i came across this Website…
It shows some well performed 3D CAD illustrations.

As I have some plastic 630 parts ,
I figured, why not cut it up and see if this kit fits together….?

C18B52E3-C19A-482C-BBAB-838C37658A71.jpeg

Well, it does somehow….😇.

2A20EFB1-306F-4383-A8EE-033036BED041.jpeg

Now I am wondering if I can extend floppy, multimedia and CD cable without a problem?

This way I can connect this setup to my future takky mac when needed….
(sadly not the same width as a classic mac😥)

Or just add a Pi and make it into a mini mac as illustrated on nobon.me…..

any ideas? ..anyone?

Greetings Chris.

Attachments

• 0088ACAB-768D-43F2-BFDA-9BEAD240F4AE.jpeg
    0088ACAB-768D-43F2-BFDA-9BEAD240F4AE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Fabulous! :D I love that knuckludraggin' hacker approach for some reason. :rolleyes:

I love the maniac's work, vHacks are one of the many reasons she's the official muse of the 68KMLA. When I'm not cribbing from her work I'm going back to the Hartmutter originals. If you add the lower corner speaker grill of a 5x00 somewhere and add back some of what you removed to the right side it'll be perfect under a Classic.

< tangent >

That's real tinkering, not fiddling the way the word has come to mean, but done in ABS, not metal. For a long time there was way too much "gotta keep every part of every case in its pristine mustard toned intactness." But with so many dead boards and crumbling plastics I no longer care to entirely abide by the middle/dark age era of period conservationist correctness in the hobby . . . mostly though. 😏

< /tangent >

Reactions: -SE40- and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Fear, not @-SE40- you can make it wider on the right side. :cool: Once you do that, you can put your SE30 (or is it a SE40?) on top of it like a zero footprint. Even better, you can mix things up.

Get any Mac II. Cut the front to the correct width, and it will retain the beautiful Snow White frontage to match your SE40 (not SE30, right?).

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
That's real tinkering, not fiddling the way the word has come to mean, but done in ABS, not metal. For a long time there was way too much "gotta keep every part of every case in its pristine mustard toned intactness." But with so many dead boards and crumbling plastics I no longer care to entirely abide by the middle/dark age era of period conservationist correctness in the hobby . . . mostly though. 😏
Interesting...that Wikipedia article you shared did read:

"Tinker or tinkerer is an archaic term for an itinerant tinsmith who mends household utensils."​
Now, we need to modify that to:

"Tinker or tinkerer is an archaic representation of an itinerant tinsmith who mends vintage retro computers for pure fun, enjoyment, and bliss."​
:D

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I love this!
Excited to see this progress, I always liked the idea of putting a 475 into a custom housing. We need more "hacks"

Reactions: retr01 and -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Thanks all for the inspirational comments…
Much appreciated!

A mac TV or mini mac to build around would be nice also.
Good idea!
I have a look😇

……Fear, not @-SE40- you can make it wider on the footprint. Even better, you can mix things up…..​

Get any Mac II. Cut the front to the correct width, and it will retain the beautiful Snow White frontage to match your SE40 (not SE30, right?)…..​

-No Fear!-😂
5E1A5204-0759-496B-BECF-E63980C712A3.jpeg
I did get this empty case as a “bonus“ together with the SE and SE30 case…. but I like to keep for the future as its in a nice condition.
Its not that hard to recreate a similar panel, and get the CD-rom+floppy under the compact mac (SE40)😇

Good thinkering!
More Hacks!

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
-No Fear!-😂
View attachment 5682
I did get this empty case as a “bonus“ together with the SE and SE30 case…. but I like to keep for the future as its in a nice condition.
Its not that hard to recreate a similar panel, and get the CD-rom+floppy under the compact mac (SE40)😇

That is true @-SE40-. Keep your IIci case because it is a natural beauty. Plus, you're missing the programmer's switches, so you will need to put those in this IIci, begging you to restore it to pristine condition. There is another way to do it. As a precursor to replication technology in Star Trek, we have 3D printing. ;)

3KSR.gif
tmp_12502-Replicator-Star-Trek1860465671.jpg

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
I believe that I got the switches, and put that inside.
The CI board was actually included, but battery did dissolve, and also they took off the cristals (or maybe corroded off) ….
So I did clean the board asfar as I could, but dont know if its worth restoring 🙈
It was a freebee, so I did not refuse the CI.

I have a 3D replicator, but actually I need a time machine…..

Attachments

• BE9EC613-00A7-4940-AD42-00D5CDF999D4.jpeg
    BE9EC613-00A7-4940-AD42-00D5CDF999D4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Sad

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I will say this: IIci cases also work with Quadra/Centris 650 boards, and PM7100 boards, assuming you cut some of the port plastic away at the rear - i have this planned for a build based around a Q650 board ;)

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I will say this: IIci cases also work with Quadra/Centris 650 boards, and PM7100 boards, assuming you cut some of the port plastic away at the rear - i have this planned for a build based around a Q650 board ;)
I have a good awful IICX with a Q700 inside. Got it that way and it makes no sense lol.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
This way I can connect this setup to my future takky mac when needed….
Given that statement, I wouldn't worry about the width after all. That's an SE/30 project and the Design Language isn't Snow White. It's the Apple Design (group?) Espresso Design Language that was an intentional break from Hartmutter's influence. IOW & IIRC post HSteveness' reign of terror, Apple discontinued the frog design retainer.

As I said, a ZFP support for the Classic done along these lines should be a good fit.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I believe that I got the switches, and put that inside.
The CI board was actually included, but battery did dissolve, and also they took off the cristals (or maybe corroded off) ….
So I did clean the board asfar as I could, but dont know if its worth restoring 🙈

I have a 3D replicator, but actually I need a time machine…..

Oh no! 😨 Time to fear?!

Wait, you do not need fear!☝️🤨 Toss it in an ultrasound bath of electronics industrial 99% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to clean off all that gunk as much as possible and preserve as many "TRON" lines on the LB as binary-friendly as possible (1982 TRON music playing).

tron-tron1982.gif

Can you show us your progress in cleaning the board so far? 🙃

A time machine, uh. Sure. Here:

BMEB.gif

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Given that statement, I wouldn't worry about the width after all. That's an SE/30 project and the Design Language isn't Snow White. It's the Apple Design (group?) Espresso Design Language that was an intentional break from Hartmutter's influence. IOW & IIRC post HSteveness' reign of terror, Apple discontinued the frog design retainer.

And the stench of disgraced Apple CEO John Sculley. 🤢 No pun intended. It is one of the reasons why I am more fond of the Snow White design language because of the influence of Steve Jobs, who brought Hartmut to Apple. The Snow White design language brought the sleekness of exotic automobiles such as Porsche to Apple. You could touch it and feel the awesomeness. 😍

Jobs' influence lasted for a while, long after Sculley shoved him out of the airlock. I doubt Sculley or anyone else besides Jobs who has ensured our current iPhones and iPads DO NOT spell out "Eat Martha" from "Beat up Martha." 🤣

By the way, even Steve Wozniak was attracted to the Snow White design language. Note how he seemed to be looking at the Apple IIc in the photograph below:

stevejobs-1984-apple-iic.jpg

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I have a good awful IICX with a Q700 inside. Got it that way and it makes no sense lol.
Makes perfect sense to me, but they tell me I'm not right.

The identical Quadra 700 triplets didn't stay stock for very long, but for the nicest which is bone stock. Gotta look up the timeline.

Quadra 700/7100/G3 - complete and working, awaits plastic welding to fill in the gaps in its nice-n-ugly ass transplant.
Quadra 700/8600/G4 - near complete board transplant

Couldn't resist having stock 68040 Quadra-tecture, NuBus Architecture PPC/G3 and PCI Architecture/G4 (Q-Squared) fraternals.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Wow…..
what did I do wrong to cause this chaos….?

No good looking, well working macs where harmed in any thinkerble way 😇

Whats good about your all comments is that I now know what path to go…thanks for that.

@retro01, the CI board is bad, maybe recoverable.
But then again it will take a lot of time.
Thats why its better to save it as a later project….
time in between I use and try to find suitable parts.

The SE40 project needs a bit of time
Still the 8“display arrived last tuesday, YEY.

Will keep you all posted on this and that progress✅

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
No good looking, well working macs where harmed in any thinkerble way 😇
I love that statement! :love:

It can become one of the lines that we Tinkerers take the Tinkerporactic Oath.

By the way, I just learned that the Hippocratic Oath is not taken seriously today as it was back in the day. :oops:🤯