A Classic II/LC III laptop/book….

panman_gr

New Tinkerer
Jan 31, 2023
Yes, the diodes are a (very) popular addition to modern mechanical keyboards. They prevent what's called "ghosting", i.e. when say 5 characters show up when you press 4 keys at once. Totally optional.

Also yes, you can reuse the PCB, provided it has one. It's possible it has a membrane in there, and not a normal PCB. Depends on your model.

Reactions: -SE40-

panman_gr

New Tinkerer
Jan 31, 2023
Most diodes will do, I'm using the 1N4148 in the SMD package called SOD-123, though a through-hole package like the DO-35 would be easier if you plan to hand-solder.
The general rule of placement is between each key switch and the row of the matrix, pointing to the keyboard controller chip, but orientation (towards or away from the chip) depends on the chip's programming, so it's better to test one on an existing/hardcoded chip. This is my schematic:
2023-11-07 18_53_31-mac ADB keyboard — Schematic Editor.png

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Oh, I just found a set of pictures from a different book, AppleDesign, which has some of the concept sketches for this book design.

Note the Apple Phone design on the left :)
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg

Reactions: -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
IMG_1526.jpeg

It took a while, but here they are….🍀 the low profile switches.

The switch fits completely into the keycap at full stroke (2,5mm) switch moment at 1-1,2mm of its stroke - so thats ok. The added 3D printed connection platform will take some space, but expect that less than 1mm. That would bring the total practical max keylevel to about 14mm. Works for me.

Reactions: wottle

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Love following your progress. VTech was a VERY creative company. The VTech Type-right was one of the first things I bought in anticipation of the arrival of my first CAD/CAM letter cutting workstation. Lo and behold, its KBD responsiveness was far better than that of the very expensive Gerber Sprint letter cutting workstation I'd ordered. Go figure! :rolleyes:

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
@Trash80toG4 - thanks, but not much progress.
Currently i have some other work to finish.

Still enjoyable to see how Professional this Atari keyboard has been created.
Love to see similar initiatives happening for some old Apple keyboards.

V-Tech was - i believe - not that populair overhere, but innovative for sure.
Some of their product also showed the privacy risks of the digital communications.

🙋🏻