A Classic II/LC III laptop/book….

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
@-SE40- You could also hinge it at the front so it's kinda like a //c/Portable/PowerBook blend. There's also the hinge it on a half frame to flip it over either way in the middle trick. Might just work out if your controller had the right kind of cable or is thin enough to run just the VGA/HDMI and power to it in the lid

Hinge-n-swivel based on the simple, rugged OLPC XO-1 design would likely be the best.

You'd have to have a switch setup to run a macro for setting the display orientation. There's a control panel that does Portrait etc. for the main display of a Mac, not sure if it works on a Compact though. Arduino time if the controller can't be tweaked to do it on its own?

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@-SE40- You could also hinge it at the front so it's kinda like a //c/Portable/PowerBook blend. There's also the hinge it on a half frame to flip it over either way in the middle trick. Might just work out if your controller had the right kind of cable or is thin enough to run just the VGA/HDMI and power to it in the lid

Hinge-n-swivel based on the simple, rugged OLPC XO-1 design would likely be the best.
Good idea! The only drawback is how long will it last? I am confident that Apple considered or tested that hinge-n-swivel concept and decided against it due to its potential weak break point.

Last edited:

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
81B70411-01C7-4380-981E-B21D5C78580C.jpeg

I do not like hinges very much in this case.

• Love

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
I am thinking about magnets……🤖

As there is no specific detail Hartmut’s design, its free to solve it in any way, aslong as the conceptmodel is followed. (Asfar as this is possible)

For the keyboard, @retr01 hack solution could work, an be most cost efficiënt.
I had the idea to reuse the Classic II keyboard.
Maybe both can be adapted to a similar size?

🍀

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
As for the magnets, these can be really powerfull ….just finding a way to decently apply these.
Not those connectors. Those are the same type as those featured on MacBooks for power connectors. Apple will bring it back in the next version of MacBooks. So, those are relatively safe.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
View attachment 5839

I do not like hinges very much in this case.
KISS principle adherence is a lofty goal. However frog's design shows the LCD to be a discrete assy that may well have been intended to be hinged at the front, else ergonomic design principles would have been thrown "inside the box," which doesn't sound like a Hartmut kinda thing. ;)

Printing those angled keycaps as covers for adhering to the likes of the $18 wireless USB Dongled KBD Mouse combos I've got on the bench ATM should be no big deal.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
I think that at Frog design-Apple(?), they where playing around with this concept and other ideas to create a vision for the future.
Nothing has been carved in stone at that point of time.

The question in the end is if we can make it work, with the insight of today.

The black version version has regular,
more common keys BTW….

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I think that at Frog design-Apple(?), they where playing around with this concept and other ideas to create a vision for the future.
Nothing has been carved in stone at that point of time.

The question in the end is if we can make it work, with the insight of today.

The black version version has regular,
more common keys BTW….
Yeah, Apple designed many concepts and developed some ideas into prototypes that very few made to production for the market. Hartmut discussed in an article and gave some examples:

1671718-inline-p133-3-0.jpg
1671718-inline-p132-2.jpg
1671718-inline-p141-1.jpg
1671718-inline-p144-1.jpg
1671718-inline-p137-2.jpg

Reactions: -SE40-