Q & A Time!

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
In anticipation of our go-live date of October 31st, all of us on the Admin team would like to reach out to you all and invite you to field some questions for us to answer!

Our plan is to collate these questions and answer them on a Youtube livestream, on our go-live date.

Add your questions below and be as in-depth as you like!

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
First of all, awesome this site even exists! Many have come and gone over the years so:
1. What will be done to ensure survival of this forum and it’s contents (backups etc.)?
2. Are images and other attachments hosted on this server or hotlinked from wherever (broken image links 10 years from now)?
3. Will cookies be served on launch day?

CodeProfessor

New Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Is this website be intended to be only a forum for discussion or is it intended to be a forum for discussion as well as a wiki / repository for archiving information / documentation / knowledge / guides?

I am doing a lot of AppleTalk research and as I do that, I would like share what I find, to save the next person time. If there is / could be a wiki style section, many of us could maintain a variety of topics - I would be all over that.

In the way that the Macintosh garden is a repository for software, can this website be a repository for knowledge as well as a discussion forum?

If the answer is yes, how would this be envisioned?

For example, I am thinking of the CapNet document in which the creator pleads for people to repost it so it does not get lost over time... I have found so many dead links to what could be useful documents.

I don't want to condone plagerism, but perhaps a policy of ethically conducted backups of text and documwntation with proper citation.

To Dogcow's point, perhaps a future discussion could be had about how the community can maintain a distributed backup of the knowledge contained within this website.

If I am describing a different website I don't know about yet feel, free to let me know :p.

Awesome job on the site!

Last edited:

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
My questions are primarily around site management.

Is there an information page showing who all the admins / staff / site officials are?
Is there an upper limit planned on the number of site officials?
Is there a process for 'demoting' site officials for misbehavior or other issues?
How were the current site officials chosen?
What's the difference between staff, administrator, moderator, etc?
What's the funding model?
How is the site being messaged / announced?

In the event of a wide ranging catastrophe, can we depend on Kai to send out Jaffa Cakes as emotional support?

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
We have on the front page many categories, but where is the limit to discuss about "old computers", fixing experiences, or new developments for the vintage computers? Only vintage computers? What is "vintage"?
Will TinkerDifferent "accept" IBM or PC topics?
Will TinkerDifferent "accept" actual topics, like Windows 11 or macOS 12 discussions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Androda

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Tune in on Saturday night (or Sunday morning, depending on your timezone) for the Tinker Different Q&A livestream!

Could you please give us an exact time with timezone? Based on the given timezone, we can "calculate" when it will be in our time. (My timezone is GMT+1, Summertime yet)

Oct 15, 2021
1635429017239.png

Watching the site trailer, I had no idea that this was the Halloween jump-scare I had been waiting for my whole retrocomputing life. ;)