Q & A Time!

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
View attachment 301

Watching the site trailer, I had no idea that this was the Halloween jump-scare I had been waiting for my whole retrocomputing life. ;)

Glad I got you for Halloween with my 'filtered' face. It wasn't easy doing this, to be honest. I could have easily done a 5 minute recording and uploaded it for the group. I spent the better part of 6 hours trying to get this right. Apple's technology doesn't make it easy, at the same time as making it easy.

Oct 15, 2021
Glad I got you for Halloween with my 'filtered' face. It wasn't easy doing this, to be honest. I could have easily done a 5 minute recording and uploaded it for the group. I spent the better part of 6 hours trying to get this right. Apple's technology doesn't make it easy, at the same time as making it easy.

Congratulations, it was very terrifying.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr. Fahrenheit
Oct 15, 2021

Please don't misunderstand. I'm just saying that it was shocking to see a giant emoji head outta nowhere. :)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Please don't misunderstand. I'm just saying that it was shocking to see a giant emoji head outta nowhere. :)

All good, Ron. My job makes it difficult to have a known online presence. It is challenging to jump through, especially when visibility is what everyone is used to.

Like I mentioned, Apple doesn’t make it easy at all. You have to use front facing camera and Bruce wanted 16x9 perspective. I had to hold my iPhone as far as my arm could reach and it was still massive like that.

Believe me, the result didn’t please me either but I ran out of time.

I do wish I could just appear on screen like everyone else.

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
If you set a reminder for the stream on YouTube, it should automatically convert the time of the stream to your local time.
I did it. Where can I see when it will be?
It tells me "when it start, I'll receive a reminder." But If it i in the middle of the night, or middle of the day, I would like to know earlier, to be able to plan into my schedule.
@Branchus do You have an exact time when the stream starts?

torbar

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
It tells me "when it start, I'll receive a reminder." But If it i in the middle of the night, or middle of the day, I would like to know earlier, to be able to plan into my schedule.
If you open the video link itself, it will say in the bottom left corner.

6pm EST(so 29 hours and 27 minutes from now)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
If you open the video link itself, it will say in the bottom left corner.

6pm EST(so 29 hours and 27 minutes from now)

Because we’re a global group, literally someone in almost every time zone, we let YouTube manage the time zone notification. It is at 17:00 Central Time on October 30. That is 18:00 Eastern, 16:00 Mountain, 15:00 Pacific. That should cover North American time zones.

Reactions: fehervaria

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
For anyone who may have missed it, here's the video of our live Q&A.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Why does Tinker Different need/want a discord server?
This is only my opinion but it comes from the standpoint of someone who has been on forums for ages and been an early adopter of ICQ back in the early days of instant messaging (user number 197701 of veteran 6 digit account numbers yo!). Keep in mind I wasn't sold on Discord for years, I found it too spread out, difficult to follow and just a time sink with a low gain/effort ratio.

Discord gives you the possibility of throw away, unorganized discussions where you're probing for information but unsure about committing them to thought out sentences that get at the heart of what you need. It gives just a bit more sense of immediate connection by being live and adds a bit more permanent character to past discussions than IRC. My first reflex isn't to use the search feature in discord to check if a past discussion has the info I need forums are way better in this regard. But at least it's something it has above IRC channels which only stays in your RAM while you're connected.

Plus, you can exchange files by drag and dropping, eliminating steps related to email exchanging or pm attachments.

Last edited: