Vectrex

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Anyone here into the amazing Vectrex vector-based gaming console? I've got a couple of them and they are really very cool. They pre-date the original Mac, and you'd have to wonder if they in some way inspired the classic Mac "all in one" design.. There's even a handle at the top of the Vectrex to carry it around.
Vectrex-Console-Set.png

One game was built in and others could be loaded via the cartridge slot on the side. There's a controller that detaches from the front of the machine, and a second can be plugged in for dual-player games.

The display is black & white, however colour is added to games by way of translucent overlays that slide in front of the display giving a sense of, albeit static, colour. Each game shipped with its own unique overlay. Again this is a vector-based system, so the graphics you get are very different to a standard raster-based display as seen in the Mac, and almost every other computing system since. If you ever played original arcade machines like Asteroids and Battlezone you'll recognise the same vector-based graphics. Or if you've got an old CRT-based oscilloscope.

Just like many other classic platforms they are still receiving love from dedicated developers, both software and hardware. Given the system was very short-lived (intro late 1982, discontinued early 1984) it's surprising how many units are still around today, and how much new software is being written for them. A few years ago someone did a port of the classic Moon Patrol game - complete with an overlay of course. It has to be one of my favourite games ever, and seeing it rendered in gorgeous vectors instead of bit-mapped sprites is pretty amazing.

Anyway, interested in hearing if anyone else has or had one and your experiences!

Cheers,

Reactions: Bolkonskij

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Vectrex is one of consoles that I'd love to own but have never had the opportunity to even see in person.
Definitely intuitive for the time

Reactions: Stephen

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I have one that I got from a good friend on trade. It also came with a "multi-cart" that has a whole bunch of games on it.

I needed it specifically to play the Star Trek game! If I could find the arcade version of that... :)

Mine had a horrible buzz in the sound - which is a known problem - and I bought a (recommended) kit on eBay that was a quick solder job and took care of the problem. I really do need to go back in and do a good clean and replace some of the caps, etc. but it works well now for the casual use I give it.

I've always been fond of the "vector graphics" games - Asteroids, Battlezone/Spectre, etc. - and the Vectrex definitely scratches that itch!

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Yes, the audio circuitry wasn't well thought out and every single machine has that hum. Some people think it gives it character.. but like you I've fixed it as the original designers should have done!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
There's a project to re-create the 3D imager. Haven't caught up with it in a while, but the original imagers go for ridiculous money if they ever come up for sale. Very rare piece of kit.

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
It's one of the consoles I would like to own. Unfortunately for me, I became enthusiastic about them after they grew in popularity... so no early bird prices for me :)

Reactions: retr01

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
@ScutBoy! Today is your day! Here is the Star Trek game for your Vectrex console. There are several listings as well.

Thanks! I do have the Vectrex version - What I'd really like is the full stand-up arcade machine from back in the day :)