Vectrex

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Wow, just stumbled upon this single component hack to re-create the Vectrex Light Pen (unobtanium these days!). $5 photo sensor and a hacked up DB-9 connector..! I know what I'm adding to my next Mouser order..!!

VectrexLioghtPenSchematic.jpg

Reactions: ScutBoy and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
A 9" green oscilloscope CRT with that mod, would we have a green display with a highly focused plotting beam on a compact Mac? :)

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
As I understand, CRT and CRO are different displays. @Mu0n refers to hacking the CRO as a display using the highly focused electron beam in the Vectrex system that plots horizontally and vertically. The Apple monitor hacked to put in a compact Mac is a CRT.

Last edited:

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
I thought you were wondering about the possibility of a green display in a compact Mac, and I remembered seeing it already done, so I posted the video. No matter how it’s done it’s the result that counts!

And by the way, displaying a raster image or video on an oscilloscope is basically converting that oscilloscope to a monitor!

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I wonder if those CROs generate more heat than CRTs. Does anyone know how hot the Vectrex gets compared to the standard black and white 9" CRTs in compact Macs?

Melkhior

Tinkerer
Jan 9, 2022
I don't remember mine getting particularity hot, or even noticeably hot. But I haven't used it meaningfully for a long time (gifted by my late grandma when they were introduced, it's carefully stored in its original, if somewhat battered, box) and I didn't care about that when I was a kid :)

Also I would except less heat than a CRT of similar size, as the electron beam only light up a small fraction of the display rather than the whole of it repeatedly. That should be less energy to dissipate?

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
A Cathode Ray Oscilloscope (CRO) is a fast X-Y plotter that can display an input signal versus time or another signal with luminous spots produced by striking the beam of electrons, and this luminous spot moves in response to variation in the input quantity.

View attachment 11978

Source: Cathode Ray Oscilloscope by Electrical4U
I didn't make the distinction because I take the point of view of a physicist and all I need to lump them together is to see a step where electrons are made available with heat, then they're accelerated in vacuum inside a tube and their path is tweaked with electric and magnetic fields (fields are either generated with regulating circuits or with signal circuits) until they hit a phosphor target, bump up atomic electrons, and when replacements/cool down occur come back, that transition emits light.

I don't expect someone to be able to plug RCA composite inputs to an oscilloscope and watch tv or play a NES, aka I don't take the point of view of a marketplace TV consumer at large.

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Hi all, I am sorry if I am a bit out of line here, but I wasn't sure where else to post this, could someone please tell me if it is fine to run a Vectrex from France that is rated for 220VAC, and use it in Australia with 240VAC? Some real help would be greatly appreciated, also could someone maybe help me solve an issue with a vectrex?
The issue is that the picture is 1/4 the normal size. This means that the whole picture is there, nothing is apparently missing from the picture. Instead it is as though someone has just gone and zoomed out the picture.

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
I have a UK model and an Australian. I run both from standard AU A/C without issue.

Has your unit been recapped?
Thanks but I was mainly wanting to know if a vectrex that was rated for 220VAC would work just fine on 240VAC without any negative effects.
From what i understand the UK and Australian models are both rated for 240VAC, but the French variant is rated for 220VAC.

I haven't bought the unit yet, I just wanted to make sure that it would work well first, before buying it. I was also hoping to have some insight into the problem with the picture size? And what some possible causes and solutions might be.

Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
A device rated 220 should work perfectly fine on 240. 220 vs 240 is a bit on an anachronism.. similarly 110 vs 120 in other places..
Thanks I thought that might have been the case but I just wanted to confirm. You know what I mean? I don't want to break the console because I was just neglectful.

Also do you have any ideas about the shrunken picture size issue?

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
It's been a while since I played with Vectrex, but I recall issues with a 555 timer could cause the issue you describe. Might be better looking for info elsewhere (I know there's an active community on FB) as there's not been a lot of talk here as you can see. The service manual is available online - that will be of value too.