4.5V Battery Replacement for Early Compact Macs?

68kPlus

New Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
Hi everyone,

Looking to find a way to replace the expensive, hard to find 4.5v battery for the Macintosh Plus in particular. The closest replacement is the Exell PX21, which costs around $50 AUD here in Australia, and the cheapest is the Unicell A133 4.5V which is $45.
There are some German adapters that are also expensive that convert 3x LR44 to the PX21, but I can't seem to find them cheap.

Any ideas?

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
If it will tolerate 4.8V, I'd use a quad AAA holder and stuff it with Eneloops.

They're rechargeable, won't leak or explode and have a low self discharge rate.

There's also the 6V 476A, which is cheap and can be dropped to 4.5V with diodes if needed.

VicNor

Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2022
Sweden
A buddy of mine has 3D-printed a holder for three LR44 coin cells. He uses a metal strip to connect the bottom battery to the connector in the computer. Good enough, I guess? It's not like keeping the time (over time) is super important on a Plus anyway. I'll imagine that one would need to replace the LR44/SR44 at least once a year

Reactions: Jockelill

MacOfAllTrades

Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2022
I used a cr2032 cell at 3.5V in my se. I understand the old macs tolerate a wide range of voltages for this purpose and many use 2032.
I got this one
But many exist. Some with wire leads built in (which I think makes more sense for your PLUS).
these cells don’t blow up like the originals and they still last a long time. Any leakage they have in odd occasions is much less as they simply don’t have much

Reactions: indigo_k

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
I've used AAAs in stuff like this:

If you have one of the old dead batteries, you can snip the connector end off of it and use some heatshrink to connect it. You don't have to order from Amazon either. Stuff like this is available on most electronic and hobby sites. And I think there are some pre-made ones on ebay.