Apple TechStep Replacement ROMs, cartridges, software, and more!

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
BTW as a practical example of TechStep coming in handy, I used mine with one of the repro carts to test a mountain of 30-pin RAM SIMMs that had been sitting in a box. I was able to organize them all into sets of working and non-working by size within an hour or so.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
BTW as a practical example of TechStep coming in handy, I used mine with one of the repro carts to test a mountain of 30-pin RAM SIMMs that had been sitting in a box. I was able to organize them all into sets of working and non-working by size within an hour or so.

Can you please post pictures @Elemenoh? I am not sure if I follow you? :oops:

splorp

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Calgary, Alberta
splorp.com
In other news, I just realized why I never got very far tinkering with my TechSteps … they all came with 240v adapters and I didn’t get around to digging a compatible 120v version out of my bins.

For completeness sake, does anybody have a spare 120v TechStep adapter to trade for a 240v?

• Wow
Reactions: pocketscience

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @jajan547 or anyone else, do you have problems posting resource documents here on TD? I am struggling because after I uploaded the PDF file of the concept TechStep print ad I created for 1991, the server kept saying that I did not upload anything that I needed to upload or provide an external link???

I have tried contacting several admins and mods. No one is answering me. Am I doing something wrong when I try to upload the PDF file or is there a system problem with TD?

1658170794572.png

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hey @jajan547 or anyone else, do you have problems posting resource documents here on TD? I am struggling because after I uploaded the PDF file of the concept TechStep print ad I created for 1991, the server kept saying that I did not upload anything that I needed to upload or provide an external link???

I have tried contacting several admins and mods. No one is answering me. Am I doing something wrong when I try to upload the PDF file or is there a system problem with TD?

Everything looks okay on my end @retr01. Also @splorp I know there’s one for $70 on eBay in box otherwise download the files on page one and there’s a resource showing what power supplies are compatible.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
You can test for bad ram in a machine so say you put a board and power supply on a work bench you can swap modules and the TechStep will identify good or bad even if they seem good.
Exactly. It's like turning the opened Mac+TechStep into a dedicated RAM module tester. I used a IIsi to test 30-pin SIMMs and a LCIII to test 72-pin SIMMs since it's so easy to remove and install modules on those models.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The touchscreen is cheaper than a keypad and a screen nowadays. Why not touch screen?

I was thinking half the size length-wise due to smaller ICs unless PCB needs to accommodate circuitry that requires more spread out PCB?

I am about to create several concept print ads for the modern TechStep, so I wonder about the sizes.

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Very nice, although I don't think emoji's were "a thing" in 1991.. :)
In other news, I just realized why I never got very far tinkering with my TechSteps … they all came with 240v adapters and I didn’t get around to digging a compatible 120v version out of my bins.

For completeness sake, does anybody have a spare 120v TechStep adapter to trade for a 240v?
OMG - want to swap? I have 110 and need 240..!

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
The touchscreen is cheaper than a keypad and a screen nowadays. Why not touch screen?

I was thinking half the size length-wise due to smaller ICs unless PCB needs to accommodate circuitry that requires more spread out PCB?

I am about to create several concept print ads for the modern TechStep, so I wonder about the sizes.
We are still looking at screen the original tech step uses a membrane keypad now we want the roms on board so we will need switches or something of the sort like jumpers to choose a ROM. As far as screens go maybe touchscreen could work I'll see what's what.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Pretty neat, @retr01!

Here are a few random thoughts (not trying in any way whatsoever to be critical, mind you)...
  • When it comes to the early 1990's, emoji's did not yet exist. Twitter and its character limit didn't exist then either, and people were not offended by a lot of text. As such, Apple ads back then contained quite a lot of text, wrapped around main product photos and screen grabs like this...

AppleAd.jpg IIfx-Ad.jpg

• Another possible title: "Take your first step toward Faster Service with TechStep."

• "TechStep" makes me think of a digitized footprint. I doubt Apple would have used such a graphic back in the day, but that is simply one that comes to mind when I ponder the product name.

• Love
Reactions: retr01

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Pretty neat, @retr01!

Here are a few random thoughts (not trying in any way whatsoever to be critical, mind you)...
  • When it comes to the early 1990's, emoji's did not yet exist. Twitter and its character limit didn't exist then either, and people were not offended by a lot of text. As such, Apple ads back then contained quite a lot of text, wrapped around main product photos and screen grabs like this...

View attachment 6689 View attachment 6690

• Another possible title: "Take your first step toward Faster Service with TechStep."

• "TechStep" makes me think of a digitized footprint. I doubt Apple would have used such a graphic back in the day, but that is simply one that comes to mind when I ponder the product name.
The TechStep was originally called the TechTool and was later changed before entering market to the TechStep

• Love
Reactions: retr01 and JDW

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Pretty neat, @retr01!

View attachment 6689 View attachment 6690

True. Yet, the TechStep concept print ad was created today more than 30 years later. I thought it would be a nice twist to add emojis. :)

I will create a few other concepts without the emojis and more graphics with text running around them.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, @JDW. Very much appreciated! The footprints and tech. I think I can make that work. :D

Reactions: JDW