Apple TechStep Replacement ROMs, cartridges, software, and more!

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello this is a crosspost from another site (68kmla), We know that the TechStep was a short lived but very useful tool and it can test many components and issues on these Old Macs. A team of three people have made all of this possible. Below you will find a .zip file containing all of the resources, build guides, documentation, .stl files for the 3D printable cases, as well as the ROM images and boards themselves. Each category has been broken down into folders for your use, enjoy!

*Update Rev.4 has had Gerber files placed in separate folders for easier understanding, a newly included build guide, and a new parts list folder, also included is JDW's 4th ROM Label*

Creators of this project are @jajan547, @Elemenoh, and @SuperSVGA

Attachments

• Apple TechStep Replacement ROM Cartridge Build Guide.pdf
    790 KB · Views: 187
  • Everything Apple TechStep Rev.4.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I think this is an amazing project. @jajan547, you are to be commended for spearheading it!

For those of you who don't already know what the Apple TechStep is, please know that I made a video about it here.

Since there haven't been any posts under this thread since it was started in March this year, I am curious...

How many of you own a TechStep or want to buy one some day?

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I think this is an amazing project. @jajan547, you are to be commended for spearheading it!

For those of you who don't already know what the Apple TechStep is, please know that I made a video about it here.

Since there haven't been any posts under this thread since it was started in March this year, I am curious...

How many of you own a TechStep or want to buy one some day?
Thank you I really appreciate it, everyone has worked hard on this. I wanted to win a prototype to see what all is different on the prototype ROM's and units but I imagine very little change except for maybe the devices name which was originally the TechTool before being replaced with TechStep. Sadly I did not win it so the hunt will continue. Another thing I find unusual is that these were sold outside of the USA so that being said I'd imagine there would be ROMs that cover the Color Classic ii officially since it coincided with the Color Classic production, I'd like to track down one of these international models and/or ROMs.

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Hey, I'm based in Australia, and recently acquired a TechStep (and commented on the other site). Haven't used it in anger yet, but looking forward to having a play with it.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
High resolution images of the 4 cartridges I own are shown at the 3:20 timestamp in my video.

Specifically, I own these:
  • CPU Tests Vol 1, v 1.1.1
  • CPU Tests Vol 2, v 1.0
  • CPU Tests Vol 3, v 1.0
  • SCSI HD Tests, v 1.0
I only lack CPU Tests Vol 4, which covers the LC III, LC 520, Color Classic, and Performa 250, 450, and 520.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I have often looked at ebay and almost got a techstep. but never made that leap. I would totally want one..

I have thought about making one myself. LIke a simple one, not even try to clone techstep. But some way to hook up your mac to a RePi or an Arduino one. even if all it did was look at the volt readings on some pins. and then just add features as you go on.

That is to say. start from scratch and build it up over time.

Anyways. neat project. would be neat if we can come up with a way for people get get one without buying a used one.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I have often looked at ebay and almost got a techstep. but never made that leap. I would totally want one..

I have thought about making one myself. LIke a simple one, not even try to clone techstep. But some way to hook up your mac to a RePi or an Arduino one. even if all it did was look at the volt readings on some pins. and then just add features as you go on.

That is to say. start from scratch and build it up over time.

Anyways. neat project. would be neat if we can come up with a way for people get get one without buying a used one.
PM me let's design one.

• Love
Reactions: lilliputian and JDW

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Okay so here's something interesting, I disassembled the TechStep and have taken photos. From what you can see there are no SMD electrolytic capacitors ,they are all tantalums stock from Apple. Also fun fact the TechStep has a FPU it is a Motorola 68882. Something else I want to point out is there are no custom chip markings meaning Apple essentially didn't bother hiding original chip names. I bring this up because the chip circled when compared to an EGRET (also circled ) from a LCII motherboard its the same exact package and style, not sure if it's totally different but very similar. Anyways I hope everyone enjoys these photos and gets good use out of them.

Attachments

• tempImageD6jBcQ.png
    tempImageD6jBcQ.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 111
  • tempImageyaSQIp.png
    tempImageyaSQIp.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 99
  • tempImageQryNgU.png
    tempImageQryNgU.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 97
  • tempImageASBShB.png
    tempImageASBShB.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 94
  • tempImageb618av.png
    tempImageb618av.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 118
  • tempImagei2NBfw.png
    tempImagei2NBfw.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 106

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
No, the HM62256 is a 32kB static RAM.

Is the FPU the yellow labelled chip? Possibly it asks the logic board to do calculations and compares them to what this one gives.

The 68HC24FN is an evolution of the HC05 uC used as EGRET, likely one is wired to the sram and cartridges. Maybe it's possible to dump their ROM, not sure. There's also a registered PAL to dump…

Last edited:

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Oh the gerbers are for the ROM cartridges, thought it was for the whole thing. Still useful I suppose.