BlueSCSI on Macintosh Portable

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I have the macintosh portable adapter and the desktop BlueSCSI working well on my portable but when I wake the computer from sleep the BlueSCSI takes several minutes to “spin up” and start working to the point it is faster just to hit reset and reboot the machine.

is this a known issue and is there a fix for it?

edit: I noticed when I hit a key to wake from sleep the BlueSCSI power Lee doesn’t come on which is expected and then I click a folder to force disk activity and the power comes on but the activity led doesn’t flash for about 3 minutes and then all is good.

I wonder what is causing this delay.

Last edited:

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
I have BlueSCSI first series installed in my non back lit machine with 5 Mb of RAM. Running 7.5.3.
Before I had a SCSI2SD 5.1 and the machine would systematically crash upon waking up from sleep.
With the BluesSCSI things are much better, still it occasionally crashes. Can’t observe any pattern, though.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I have BlueSCSI first series installed in my non back lit machine with 5 Mb of RAM. Running 7.5.3.
Before I had a SCSI2SD 5.1 and the machine would systematically crash upon waking up from sleep.
With the BluesSCSI things are much better, still it occasionally crashes. Can’t observe any pattern, though.
Interesting you see no pattern. Maybe I have an isolated issue then. Mines the latest v2 version. What does it do when you wake it up from sleep and cause disk activity by opening a folder, menu item, app etc?

Mine is not crashing it just takes several minutes to wake up.

Last edited:

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I just did a test with System 7.5.3 and when I go to the Control Strip and select “spin down hard drive” I see the BlueSCSI powers down. I then double clicked a folder and the BlueSCSI powers back up and I get the “watch” busy cursor but I have to wait 3 minutes for BlueSCSI activity.

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
I think I have had this happen before, but I thought it was because of my custom made SCSI emulator. I don't think I waited the three minutes though, I just gave up and reset the computer.
I may try and get a BlueSCSI v2 to see if I can replicate the problem again. I would guess that maybe something isn't starting up in the right order, but it is odd that it takes three minutes.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I think I have had this happen before, but I thought it was because of my custom made SCSI emulator. I don't think I waited the three minutes though, I just gave up and reset the computer.
I may try and get a BlueSCSI v2 to see if I can replicate the problem again. I would guess that maybe something isn't starting up in the right order, but it is odd that it takes three minutes.
I have your hybrid board on the logic board. I hope THATs not it! 😂

• SuperSVGA hybrid
• Androda BlueSCSI adapter
• Androda Desktop BlueSCSI

system 6.0.8 and system 7.5.3 tested.

For now I am preventing sleep altogether with After Dark screen saver.

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
Just ran a test, here seems to be where it's stopping:
IMG_2012.jpeg

Seems to be looping at 0x907284, which I guess is checking 0xF90040 which is a SCSI controller address, and decrementing D1 and D5 for reasons I'm not sure why.
The other odd thing with the three minute wait is it's based on execution time, not real time, so that three minutes doesn't count down while the system is halted.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Just ran a test, here seems to be where it's stopping:
View attachment 12745

Seems to be looping at 0x907284, which I guess is checking 0xF90040 which is a SCSI controller address, and decrementing D1 and D5 for reasons I'm not sure why.
The other odd thing with the three minute wait is it's based on execution time, not real time, so that three minutes doesn't count down while the system is halted.

wow interesting so you are seeing the same issue. Is it the BlueSCSI? I just made a RAM disk and woke from sleep and tried to launch an app from the RAM disk and it behaved the same way with the delay.

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
I can't find a BlueSCSI around at the moment to test with.

Just out of curiosity, see what happens if you hit the interrupt button and type G 900732 when it's stuck, that gets it going on mine.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I can't find a BlueSCSI around at the moment to test with.

Just out of curiosity, see what happens if you hit the interrupt button and type G 900732 when it's stuck, that gets it going on mine.

So you are seeing the same issue with a standard SCSI drive?
If I put it to sleep, then hit a key to wake, then double click a folder to freeze, then hit the interrupt the machine locks up and i lose the mouse.
Does the OS version matter ?
I tried both on system 6.0.8 when i can get the debugger dialog to come up and nothing happens. i forget do i need to hit another key to get out of the debugger?

My interrupt is flakey on both 7.5.3 and 6.0.8 it crashes the machine most of the time.

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
So you are seeing the same issue with a standard SCSI drive?
The original Conner drive seems to work fine, or at least last time I tried it. It just seems to be my custom SCSI emulator that I'm getting the problem on, which is odd because it seems like the Conner drive would take longer to start up.

Theoretically just hitting the interrupt should activate MicroBug and typing G 900732 then hitting return should start execution at that memory address, and MicroBug will then disappear.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
The original Conner drive seems to work fine, or at least last time I tried it. It just seems to be my custom SCSI emulator that I'm getting the problem on, which is odd because it seems like the Conner drive would take longer to start up.

Theoretically just hitting the interrupt should activate MicroBug and typing G 900732 then hitting return should start execution at that memory address, and MicroBug will then disappear.

Ahh thats not the case here with the interrupt switch.. It either bombs or I get the white dialog box the the > sign... Assuming thats Microbug. its been over 30 years since I used that and I had the MacsBug extension I believe.

So your custom SCSI emulator is behaving the same way as my BlueSCSI though? upon hitting a keyboard key you emulator drive powers up immediately but then sits for several minutes until theirs activity and you get the spinning watch mouse cursor, you can move the mouse but everything else is frozen until the drive activates and does reads?

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
So your custom SCSI emulator is behaving the same way as my BlueSCSI though? upon hitting a keyboard key you emulator drive powers up immediately but then sits for several minutes until theirs activity and you get the spinning watch mouse cursor, you can move the mouse but everything else is frozen until the drive activates and does reads?
Right, power comes up immediately, I even checked with the scope to make sure the power was clean, but there's never any SCSI activity at all until the time passes.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Right, power comes up immediately, I even checked with the scope to make sure the power was clean, but there's never any SCSI activity at all until the time passes.

Interesting, so at least I know it's not an isolated issue to my machine only. But I am surprised no one else has mentioned this that I can find.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Interesting you see no pattern. Maybe I have an isolated issue then. Mines the latest v2 version. What does it do when you wake it up from sleep and cause disk activity by opening a folder, menu item, app etc?

Mine is not crashing it just takes several minutes to wake up.
I am using no special configuration (Mac Plus) and a self made adapter (some pics in the Resources section of the forum).
Virtual drive formatted using HD Toolkit and with HDT driver installed.
I just did a random test, waking it up 10 times in sequence after sleep. Not a single failure, even after two hours sleep.
But sometimes, erratically, when I wake it up from sleep, it just crashes and it automatically reboots.

What I know is that with SCSI2SD it was crashing every single time, fundamentally the reason why I swapped it with BlueSCSI.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I am using no special configuration (Mac Plus) and a self made adapter (some pics in the Resources section of the forum).
Virtual drive formatted using HD Toolkit and with HDT driver installed.
I just did a random test, waking it up 10 times in sequence after sleep. Not a single failure, even after two hours sleep.
But sometimes, erratically, when I wake it up from sleep, it just crashes and it automatically reboots.

What I know is that with SCSI2SD it was crashing every single time, fundamentally the reason why I swapped it with BlueSCSI.

hmm. I used one of the pre made images from the BlueSCSI GitHub page.

Could possibly be the Hybrid board?