JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I am currently filming a new video about the Apple IIe Card in my Color Classic Mystic. As many of you know, I performed the VGA mod on this CC earlier this year, which boost the stock resolution of 512x384 to 640x480. Smaller pixels means everything is smaller, but the upside is you can run many games and other apps which require VGA as the minimum resolution. Even so, aging eyes line mine prefer larger pixels, and I always thought it would be neat if we could switch back to the stock 512x384 on the fly.

One thing I have learned in my testing of the Apple IIe Card is that it switches the CRT screen resolution to 560x384, regardless of whether you have the stock 512x384 or the 640x480 mod! The IIe Card proves it is possible to switch resolutions without having to hack anything on the hardware side. I don't think the IIe Card has any video control circuitry on it, and instead it is just sending some kind of command to the Mac to perform the resolution switching. Would any of you know if that command is something hard coded in ROM?

I'm just trying to brainstorm about whether it is possible to use the same trick to alter the resolution to something else, such as going from 640x480 to 512x384 and back. It would be SUPER NEAT if that was possible!

Reactions: wottle