Disk Jockey, a disk image file maker for your retro stuff - Beta for version 3!

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
New version out! Disk Jockey now has a sidekick! Check out the first post of the thread for the details.

Can I use DiskJockey to convert a DiskCopy image to an .hda image with added SCSI driver?

I want to setup files and system folders on my vintage Macs using DiskCopy to create and image and mount it. Then I want to convert that image for use on BlueSCSI etc. Is that possible?

Reactions: JDW

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu
Can I use DiskJockey to convert a DiskCopy image to an .hda image with added SCSI driver?

I want to setup files and system folders on my vintage Macs using DiskCopy to create and image and mount it. Then I want to convert that image for use on BlueSCSI etc. Is that possible?
You absolutely can!

In this very silly example (I hope the video works), I'm converting the disk image of the first installation disk of System 7.5.5 into a full-blown device.

The steps are:
1. Drag the disk image to DJ's window. It will detect it as a Disk Copy image
2. Click the "Create a device image" at the bottom right of the screen showing the HFS partition
3. Done! A device image is now in your Downloads directory.

Obviously this works with much larger images that you build yourself.

Attachments

• Screen Recording 2022-07-22 at 15.10.30.mp4
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
You absolutely can!

In this very silly example (I hope the video works), I'm converting the disk image of the first installation disk of System 7.5.5 into a full-blown device.

The steps are:
1. Drag the disk image to DJ's window. It will detect it as a Disk Copy image
2. Click the "Create a device image" at the bottom right of the screen showing the HFS partition
3. Done! A device image is now in your Downloads directory.

Obviously this works with much larger images that you build yourself.
That is amazing! Where does one donate? Lol!

Reactions: OneGeekArmy

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I'd love a PC version of this. I'd live with no GUI at all and it running in pure MSDOS6.22.

As it stands, I must bug a modern Mac owner to build images for me and must wait normal business hours to bug them
(just kidding.............orami)

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
Depending on what your long-term goals are for this project, it might be nice to host it on Github (or some other public repository). Even if you just want to work on it yourself, it might be an easier way to keep track of issues or feature requests. And if you're open to others collaborating, it'd of course make that a lot easier.
I've followed your suggestion and opened a repository for issues and feature requests here:
https://github.com/OneGeekArmy/Disk-Jockey-Community/issues

Thanks again for the idea!

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Hi all, I've posted a quick preview of what's coming in the first post of this thread. I think it's pretty exciting :)
Amazing work as always, this is the definitive tool to make any type of image! @Ron's Computer Videos and I spent a long time trying to crack the 32mb partition issue and now you've solved it!

I also posted a that total replay v5a4 image in my mega if anyone wants to grab it and try it out.

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
Wonderful news! This really ups the ante being able to make partitions ahead of time in a modern environment without having to fiddle with emulators. Plus, HD SC Setup is fiddly to use even in the best of circumstances...

That's the hope for this feature, indeed! Hopefully, there won't be a need for HD SC Setup in the vast majority of scenarios anymore.

This also solves the chicken-and-egg problem of "I need to partition this disk but where can I put HD SC Setup if that disk is not initialized?" which I've bumped into many times.

Also, it's kind of great to do *additive* partitioning instead of *subtractive*: instead of starting with a fixed size hard drive that you divide into chunks (once your 200 MB are attributed, that's it), you just *add* partitions and the disk image grows to accommodate your needs. It's very freeing :)

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
>It has been notarized by Apple so you know it won’t mess anything up.
SAY WHAT !

so grateful you are taking advantage of that feature of modern mac os. it feels like most people don't bother. (i have no idea what it takes to get apple to notarize apps...)

• Love

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
>It has been notarized by Apple so you know it won’t mess anything up.
SAY WHAT !

so grateful you are taking advantage of that feature of modern mac os. it feels like most people don't bother. (i have no idea what it takes to get apple to notarize apps...)
I really wanted to make it a good citizen of modern macOS, constraints and all.

Notarizing is really not that big a deal these days if you include it in your workflow from the beginning and if you accept that you can't have free-range over the user's computer (which you really never should have). The trickiest bit was to get the installer for Disk Jockey Jr (which is also notarized) onboarded in Disk Jockey.

Thank you for noticing! It makes it worthwhile :)

Reactions: Patrick

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I really wanted to make it a good citizen of modern macOS, constraints and all.

Notarizing is really not that big a deal these days if you include it in your workflow from the beginning and if you accept that you can't have free-range over the user's computer (which you really never should have). The trickiest bit was to get the installer for Disk Jockey Jr (which is also notarized) onboarded in Disk Jockey.

Thank you for noticing! It makes it worthwhile :)
Notarized? What's next, legally married?

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
I'd like to look at porting Disk Jockey Jr to PowerPC so that I can run it on my G5 (more convenient), and it should work assuming it's C and doesn't use any weirdo APIs, but https://diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu/djjr gives me a 404?
Thanks for reporting the broken link. It's fixed now.

And thank you for suggesting to port it to PowerPC! However, maybe there's something coming soon... 🤫

Also: DJ is written in Swift, there's no weird API or external library use whatsoever, except for the unobtrusive Sparkle framework that handles automatic updates.

• Love
Reactions: JDW and retr01