DiskClick! Emulate Old Hard Drive Sounds using your own Real life C drive.

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
Hello Everyone i wanted to showcase a little project i have been working on. I call it DiskClick This is a program made in python that emulates hard drives sound using your C Drive Activity. This is very useful if you have only SSD'S in your computer or just want to hear old hard drives correlated with what your doing. This is actually pretty much the same idea as the popular HDD clicker by Serdashop but in a software form factor. It uses 2 wav samples which you can change in the program by loading a folder with 2 wavs in it. looping and load. The looping is basically just more of a idle and load is the drive actually reading and writing data. Included are some Hard drives i sampled from various videos and my own there not perfect i am not a sound designer but i think there good enough. This app is a proof of concept right now and a little rough around the edges but i think it works well enough to showcase.

Please Do make your own samples and share them in this thread.

You will need a full install of python and PyGame and PSutil

Download link:https://devodev.itch.io/diskclick

and a showcase video:

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
Updated to V.0.0.3
Changelog:
1.Made the program more sensitive to drive activity
2.New Samples Primarily 90's Hard drives
3.Added A toggle For drive ambiance for those that just want the clicks and none of the constant noise.(Note there is a bug where every time you load a new sample both sounds will play in full once its done just click drive ambiance on and off and it will work)
4. Made the UI app a little more compact and added a toggle Window for debugging.

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
V0.0.35 Changelog
1.Added a button to load the default HDD
2.Added a Plethora of New 90s hard drives and redid the Seagate ST-225 And Miniscribe 3245 and added a few samples in the others folder
3.Added a brief fade in and out for the sounds to not be as harsh

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
0.0.4 Changelog
1.Drive selection will save upon exit so you don't have to hunt for it the next time you run the app
2.Added a Icon to the app

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
V0.0.5 Changelog
1.Volume Saving(Still Somwhat Buggy)
2. The Most requested feature by far. Mutiple sound samples. Now the app can load a infinite number of load samples to make it more varied and less repetitive.
3.Added at least 1 more load sample to the already present drives showcase this.

Deervo

New Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2024
0.0.65 Changelog
1.Volume should save now
2.Fixed the bug where the app would sometimes run in the background despite closing it
3.A couple new 80s Hard drive samples
4.Very Early WIP Introduction of bad sectors{very wip and just uses stutter sounds currently}