Display graphic FULL SCREEN on Mac SE?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What app will allow me to display a graphic FULL SCREEN that works on a Mac SE or Plus (4MB of RAM & 68000 CPU)?

Graphic Converter 1.7 won't work and neither will JPEGView 3. SuperPaint won't do it either. Same for Deneba Canvas 3.5.

I am talking about full screen with NO MENUBAR -- just the graphic only at the full 512x342 pixels. On my SE/30, I use Photoshop 4.0, but that doesn't work on an SE.

• Love
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I used a program on my IIci that displayed full-screen pictures, but I can't remember what it was. Hey @JDW, what System version are you running on the SE? I will try to help you find that particular function.

EDIT: Found! See below.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
FullPaint! :D It debuted in 1986. Provides full-screen capabilities. Should work on SE.

1658513226860.png

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Here’s an update.

I’ve never found any version of Photoshop below version 4.0 (which works on my SE/30 but on my SE ) that displays a graphic at it’s 100% size, full screen, without the menu bar. If you know how to do that, please let me know. The reason why I prefer Photoshop over any other apps because it typically opens files that I make on a modern computer, or as others give me a lot of trouble which I will explain below.

Folks on Facebook suggested I try PowerPoint 1.0, and while that does display content full screen, it shrinks that content down and put a forced margin around it, which is totally ridiculous and I don’t understand why it does that. It also forces me to have title text that cannot be deleted! In other words, even the earliest versions of PowerPoint cannot be used to display a graphic at it’s 100% actual size.

SuperPaint Deluxe does not work because even though it displays the graphic at 100% size, there’s no way to get rid of the menu bar!

FullPaint crashes on every OS flavor of System 7, and even crashes under 6.0.8 for me. So I would have to go even lower than that to get it to work, I think. But I fear it probably would not open modern versions of the graphic files (TIFF files), which is about the only format that seems to be fairly universal, if I leave compression off.

I spent two hours yesterday, staying up till 2 o’clock in the morning, fiddling with HyperCard — the version that will work on the SE. Even though I’ve read it works with TIFF files, it doesn’t. I created a pixel perfect black and white TIFF without compression on my modern Mac, but it wouldn’t import into HyperCard. Even when I open it in a vintage graphics app and re-save it as a tiff, it still wouldn’t open in HyperCard. That proves that older versions of HyperCard just don’t like TIFF files.

I tried using Graphic Converter on my vintage Mac to make a MacPaint version of my TIFFs, but Graphic Converter foolishly makes a huge canvas and then puts the image in the middle of that, and HyperCard won’t let me center it as a background image on cards!

I finally tested Canvas 3.5.3 and found that it allows me to save my TIFF files as proper MacPaint files and it does not shift the image or make a huge canvas, which is what I need. But it’s still a lot of trouble because I have to re-save every image through Canvas instead of being able to directly import them into HyperCard.

All said, I’m very tired right now and I’ll fiddle around with it more when I have time.

Thank you for the advice and tips to date.

Reactions: SteveHere

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
I spent two hours yesterday, staying up till 2 o’clock in the morning, fiddling with HyperCard — the version that will work on the SE. Even though I’ve read it works with TIFF files, it doesn’t. I created a pixel perfect black and white TIFF without compression on my modern Mac, but it wouldn’t import into HyperCard. Even when I open it in a vintage graphics app and re-save it as a tiff, it still wouldn’t open in HyperCard. That proves that older versions of HyperCard just don’t like TIFF files.

I think you can copy the image from your viewer/editor and paste into your HyperCard stack.

It has features you might find useful for vidoes, like cycling between cards using the arrow keys, automatically, with transitions, etc.

Reactions: LeadedSolder

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I think you can copy the image from your viewer/editor and paste into your HyperCard stack.
Thanks, I just tried Select All in Canvas 3.5.3, Copy, and then Paste in HyperCard. Sadly, it pastes the graphic in the wrong position, and I have no idea how to center that in HyperCard. But even if I did know how to manually center the pasted image in HyperCard, doing that fiddly work for all my graphics is very time consuming. I would save nothing over my current approach of using Canvas to save a MacPaint version file and then opening HyperCard and importing that file, which then is perfectly centered.

It has features you might find useful for vidoes, like cycling between cards using the arrow keys, automatically, with transitions, etc.
True, and I am pondering that for some uses, which is why I greatly appreciate your recommendation of Hypercard (which in my case is version 2.3, and can be run under System 6.0.8).

What I tend to do though is more time consuming but better in the end. Most vintage Macs have a lot of fan noise. That remains true even of compact Macs I've upgraded with a Noctua fan. It's distracting during a video shoot. So what I do is sit the Mac next to me switched off. I film myself talking and try not to move my hand in front of the CRT. I then stop my camera, switch on the Mac ,and film the same scene with all the graphics I want to display. I don't even need to be in the scene for that. I then crop-in only the CRT in FCPX over the previous footage of myself talking, and I can adjust the duration of each graphics display at that time too.

The other benefit of my doing it this way is that I am not fiddling around looking at the Mac or pressing keyboard buttons during my speech. I just talk and the graphics magically display at the right time, and for the right duration. It's a kind of magic.

Reactions: Eric's Edge

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
What I tend to do though is more time consuming but better in the end. Most vintage Macs have a lot of fan noise. That remains true even of compact Macs I've upgraded with a Noctua fan. It's distracting during a video shoot. So what I do is sit the Mac next to me switched off.

Hi @JDW! :) 👋 What fan bracket are you using in the SE and SE/30? Stock? Have you thought about printing a new bracket by @alxlab, who recently updated version 1.1 of the fan bracket for the SE and SE/30?

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
The other benefit of my doing it this way is that I am not fiddling around looking at the Mac or pressing keyboard buttons during my speech. I just talk and the graphics magically display at the right time, and for the right duration. It's a kind of magic.

That's an impressive process!

I'd probably kill the fan with a discreet switch for the duration of the scene.

Of course, useful only if no HDDs are running.

Reactions: JDW and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
That's an impressive process!

I agree. :geek:(y)👏

I'd probably kill the fan with a discreet switch for the duration of the scene.

Ninja style? :sneaky: Yeah, it's possible. Tap the fan's wires to an external switch running through the security slot. Be sure to select old-style metal flip switches.

Of course, useful only if no HDDs are running.

BlueSCSI, problem solved. :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Hi @JDW! :) 👋 What fan bracket are you using in the SE and SE/30? Stock? Have you thought about printing a new bracket by @alxlab, who recently updated version 1.1 of the fan bracket for the SE and SE/30?
There is no need for a custom fan bracket in my case because all of my compact Macintosh machines have the standard bracket for the regular boxer fans. Those custom brackets are mainly for machines that have the older model squirrel cage fans.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
There is no need for a custom fan bracket in my case because all of my compact Macintosh machines have the standard bracket for the regular boxer fans. Those custom brackets are mainly for machines that have the older model squirrel cage fans.

A new fan bracket can be installed, regardless of the crosshatch fan or not. The stock brackets leak air. @alxlab's design does not leak air and maintains airflow quieter. :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
BlueSCSI, problem solved. :)
Or MacSD.

I feel it only appropriate to point that out whenever BlueSCSI (a great product, by the way ) is mentioned not only to show that I am unbiased, but also as a nod to YMK, who is the rather brilliant creator of that pretty incredible little device. You may not know this, but MacSD has CD changer features!

And yes, I will be making a video on both BlueSCSI and MacSD. I already have a MacSD video that exclusively talks about that product.

• Love
Reactions: YMK and retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Or MacSD.

I feel it only appropriate to point that out whenever BlueSCSI (a great product, by the way ) is mentioned not only to show that I am unbiased, but also as a nod to YMK, who is the rather brilliant creator of that pretty incredible little device. You may not know this, but MacSD has CD changer features!

And yes, I will be making a video on both BlueSCSI and MacSD. I already have a MacSD video that exclusively talks about that product.

I will look forward to that. By the way, I am using the F4 Lite version of BlueSCSI by @Androda. However, I am willing to see and try one from @YMK. I have one more thing that needs one anyway. There is a Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3. Now, a Thing 4.

Reactions: JDW