Display graphic FULL SCREEN on Mac SE?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What app will allow me to display a graphic FULL SCREEN that works on a Mac SE or Plus (4MB of RAM & 68000 CPU)?

Graphic Converter 1.7 won't work and neither will JPEGView 3. SuperPaint won't do it either. Same for Deneba Canvas 3.5.

I am talking about full screen with NO MENUBAR -- just the graphic only at the full 512x342 pixels. On my SE/30, I use Photoshop 4.0, but that doesn't work on an SE.

• Love
Reactions: retr01

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I fixed the link in my previous post just now. Thanks.

I was outside my home at the time. Such things happen quite often when I am on my iPhone. I really like my Macs much better when it comes to that. I can also type out long replies much easier on a keyboard than I can input text on my iPhone via voice dictation, especially because I always have to manually fix about 10 different dictation errors in whatever I am dictating.

I look forward to the day voice dictation AI is about as good as what we see on Star Trek.

I always laugh when I hear anything about AI in the news, or about driverless cars. Our tech today is far, far less advanced than what some contend. That's why I also laugh when people talk about AI taking over the world. Maybe some day, but certainly not while I am still alive. In fact, if Apple ever gets voice dictation to perfectly hear and dictate all I say on a consistent basis, I think my heart will stop.

OK. Rant over. Thanks for listening! :)

• Haha

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
A new fan bracket can be installed, regardless of the crosshatch fan or not. The stock brackets leak air. @alxlab's design does not leak air and maintains airflow quieter. :)
Actually, YMK made some brackets in the past called Air Boxes. He sent me some samples, actually. I've just not had time to revisit that.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I will look forward to that. By the way, I am using the F4 Lite version of BlueSCSI by @Androda. However, I am willing to see and try one from @YMK. I have one more thing that needs one anyway. There is a Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3. Now, a Thing 4.

Because MacSD can be overclocked and also benefits from fast SD cards, the speed you get from it is quite impressive. BlueSCSI has improved its performance with every firmware update, and I am now testing the latest June update. MacSD is still faster, but only on 030 and faster Macs which can take advantage of that extra speed. My overclocked 50MHz Color Classic Mystic really benefits from that. But I do wish to point out that a spinning platter HDD is still faster than even MacSD when it comes to "data throughput." So while BlueSCSI with the latest firmware updates might get somewhere around 1700KB/sec for Reads or Writes on my Mystic, MacSD is around 2200KB/sec, and the spinner drive is 4500KB/sec. Now, while that may seem like the SD card solutions should be much slower, they are lightning fast when it comes to access times so overall they feel faster. The times when you would say the HDD is faster is when you are copying large files to/from the drive.

These are the things I hope to show in my video on BlueSCSI and MacSD. But that video is delayed for now to ensure I get all the latest firmware updates for the devices by the time I do the video. Tentatively, I will probably do the Stereo Mod for the Color Classic next, after SE Reloaded concludes.

Now back to editing! :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I fixed the link in my previous post just now. Thanks.

I was outside my home at the time. Such things happen quite often when I am on my iPhone. I really like my Macs much better when it comes to that. I can also type out long replies much easier on a keyboard than I can input text on my iPhone via voice dictation, especially because I always have to manually fix about 10 different dictation errors in whatever I am dictating.

I look forward to the day voice dictation AI is about as good as what we see on Star Trek.

I always laugh when I hear anything about AI in the news, or about driverless cars. Our tech today is far, far less advanced than what some contend. That's why I also laugh when people talk about AI taking over the world. Maybe some day, but certainly not while I am still alive. In fact, if Apple ever gets voice dictation to perfectly hear and dictate all I say on a consistent basis, I think my heart will stop.

OK. Rant over. Thanks for listening! :)

No problem. When you said, "if Apple ever gets voice dictation to perfectly hear and dictate all I say on a consistent basis, I think my heart will stop," my first thought was back in the Apple Newton days when "Beat Martha" became "Eat Martha." LOL. Of course, it is much better than back then, but still, a way to go.

Is AI a big thing in Japan these days? I see Honda experimenting with robots, hoping to be what we see in the "Bicentennial Man" movie with Robin Williams.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
No problem. When you said, "if Apple ever gets voice dictation to perfectly hear and dictate all I say on a consistent basis, I think my heart will stop," my first thought was back in the Apple Newton days when "Beat Martha" became "Eat Martha." LOL. Of course, it is much better than back then, but still, a way to go.

Is AI a big thing in Japan these days? I see Honda experimenting with robots, hoping to be what we see in the "Bicentennial Man" movie with Robin Williams.
In many ways, Japan has lost its way when it comes to tech. (The horrible weakening of the Yen this year is somewhat a part of that in terms of how investors in the currency market consider Japan's future prospects.) Japan's aversion to taking risks was a benefit to them during the bubble economy of the late 80's but it slowly has become a problem in terms of staying modern, trendy and relevant. Japan used to be the world's second largest economy, but now China has overtaken them. Not because China is more populous either. China turns a blind eye to risk and that thinking, while dangerous, has paid off for them. Japan needs to take more risks when it comes to driverless cars, space exploration, robotics and even pharmaceuticals. That remains true even though some Japanese products like cars and cameras and game consoles continue to dominate in the international marketplace. It is more complex in Japan which has more public safety laws on the books than China, but I still think risk-taking can and should be done. I also think that if the population here continues to refuse to give birth, they need to be more open and friendly toward allowing foreign people in, for the sake of maintaining the population (which is aging and on the decline now).

In terms of making quality things, however, nobody beats Japan. Germany comes close, but Japan is still on top. That is why I love to tout the MADE IN JAPAN (mostly) items that @Kay K.M.Mods offers to the community. He really has some amazing stuff in his Kero's Mac Mods store. And he doesn't just resell somebody else's stuff either. He lovingly hand-crafts his wares with a professional eye. I also have spoken to him a lot privately and can vouch for his attention to detail and care for the consumer, especially because the consumer is our fellow vintage computer lover, and both Kay and I are included in that group. So selling to others is very much like selling to yourself. You only sell what you yourself love. But when I push his store, I really do think it's great. Even something as simple as a SCSI ribbon cable in his store is a work of art.

Okay, I need to break my addiction to this forum and get back to video editing!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Wow! Thank you, JDW, for a great "op Ed" article about Japan's Needs to Take Risks Again. Very inspiring! Yes, you are right. Japanese products are very high to highest in quality compared to other countries' products. :)

Okay, I need to break my addiction to this forum and get back to video editing!

😂😂😂😂😂

slomacuser

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
In Photoshop you select the righ icon of three on bottom of palette.
12DE8134-73F9-4231-81B0-6B4AFCE56527.jpeg
and then press TAB key to hide the pallette bar.

• Love
Reactions: JDW

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
What I tend to do though is more time consuming but better in the end. Most vintage Macs have a lot of fan noise. That remains true even of compact Macs I've upgraded with a Noctua fan. It's distracting during a video shoot. So what I do is sit the Mac next to me switched off. I film myself talking and try not to move my hand in front of the CRT.
Wondering if you take a different route will help? Remove the fan entirely from the Compact on the table and bodge ductwork from the vents around, down and under the table positioned so it's not visible in the video. Point a much larger, higher CFM, but far less noisy fan so that it points straight down at the floor.

That ought to be all but silent to you and the mic setup I'd think? No editing required in post.

+1 on the op-ed.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Point a much larger, higher CFM, but far less noisy fan so that it points straight down at the floor.
Actually, the Noctua 60x25mm replacement fans I use in the SE & SE/30 compact Macs is quieter than a regular 35cm floor fan on low. It's just that my LAV mic is unidirectional and quite sensitive.

In Photoshop you select the righ icon of three on bottom of palette.
View attachment 6848
and then press TAB key to hide the pallette bar.
Thanks for the reminder. For some reason I had not been able to get it to work in the past. I did a fresh download of 1.07 from the Garden just now, updated to 1.1, and not only am I able to get full screen, but it opens TIFF files created on a modern Mac too! I've only tested in Mini vMac for now, but it only requires 2MB of RAM, so it should work on my 4MB SE.

THANK YOU!

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Actually, the Noctua 60x25mm replacement fans I use in the SE & SE/30 compact Macs is quieter than a regular 35cm floor fan on low. It's just that my LAV mic is unidirectional and quite sensitive.
No doubt, but I'm talking about something on the order of a 120-140mm Noctua. RPM to be revved down so that the much larger fan's CFM would equal the output of the smaller internal fan after pressure losses inherent in the ducting. Noise and airflow would be pointed straight down and away from the mic setup. ;)

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
No doubt, but I'm talking about something on the order of a 120-140mm Noctua. RPM to be revved down so that the much larger fan's CFM would equal the output of the smaller internal fan after pressure losses inherent in the ducting. Noise and airflow would be pointed straight down and away from the mic setup. ;)

I don’t have a dedicated room for YouTube. I mostly film after hours at the office when everyone is gone home. Even then, I only have a couple hours to shoot. I have to take a lot of time to set everything up. Then I have to do the shoot and tear everything down. I also need to film the machine shown in the ending segment from a lot of different angles with all of its internal parts still intact. That is why my current approach really is best for now.

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
@JDW back to original topic did you find a working solution for full-screen image display on a 9” Mac? If not - what file format exactly do you need supported? You mentioned TIFF but not sure if that was a requirement.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Crutch
I focused on TIFF because it is more compatible with old and new Macs than even GIF or JPG. MacPaint is best for old Macs, but modern Photoshop doesn't like it. Hence my use of TIFF (no layers, no compression -- just the basics).

I spent a lot of time on the HyperCard solution, so I will likely go with that. But I wish there was a script command for HyperCard v2.3 that could hide the cursor (pointer). I can mostly slide it into a corner, but a few pixels still display.

I got Photoshop v1.1 to work after a fresh install, but again, I probably will use HyperCard this time. Photoshop v1.1 surprised me because not only can it display the images full screen without a menubar, but it can open the TIFF files created on an M1 Mac under MacOS Monterey too. Pretty slick!

On FaceBook, Nathan Andrews mentioned this to me...

But it seems to display TIFF images in a window, rather than full screen, which isn't what I want. However, if HyperCard v2.3 could import TIFF files created by modern Macs directly, without my having to open them in Canvas and resave them first, that would be a time saver. But in the future, I probably will just use Photoshop v1.1 because that can open the files directly and do what I want.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
@Crutch
I focused on TIFF because it is more compatible with old and new Macs than even GIF or JPG. MacPaint is best for old Macs, but modern Photoshop doesn't like it. Hence my use of TIFF (no layers, no compression -- just the basics).

I spent a lot of time on the HyperCard solution, so I will likely go with that. But I wish there was a script command for HyperCard v2.3 that could hide the cursor (pointer). I can mostly slide it into a corner, but a few pixels still display.

I got Photoshop v1.1 to work after a fresh install, but again, I probably will use HyperCard this time. Photoshop v1.1 surprised me because not only can it display the images full screen without a menubar, but it can open the TIFF files created on an M1 Mac under MacOS Monterey too. Pretty slick!

On FaceBook, Nathan Andrews mentioned this to me...

But it seems to display TIFF images in a window, rather than full screen, which isn't what I want. However, if HyperCard v2.3 could import TIFF files created by modern Macs directly, without my having to open them in Canvas and resave them first, that would be a time saver. But in the future, I probably will just use Photoshop v1.1 because that can open the files directly and do what I want.
If you use ResEdit to modify the cursor for HyperCard to be zero pixels, you can use the "set cursor" command to set the cursor to one that you've modified with no pixels.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Remember Aldus? That organization published TIFF in 1986 as it was necessary to have a standard graphics file format to place images from scanners. It stands for Tag Image File Format. TIFF is a complex format because many tags were defined as typically a few were defined in a file.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I'll reread the thread and pay attention to the solutions that were offered but I just wanted to quickly poke the thread and say that the full screen 512x342 full screen, graphic display with no menu bar is a problem I've solved with my own C tinkering 16 years ago.

I even re-used my code in a custom programmed After Dark screensaver module, where it shows a cycling slideshow of full sized screen graphics (that was a custom paid job a long time ago). If you simply want an app that will be ultra compatible all the way down to the earliest macs (probably, but I can 100% guarantee Mac Plus to system 3) that just opens up to a file picking dialog and displays the image full screen until you click the mouse (cursor hidden), I can easily whip this out for you.

I can also detail modern-to-Plus pipeline when I want to bring modern world images to the old machine if you want (I have a reliable methodology using Photoshop CS 2).

• Wow
Reactions: JDW and retr01

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago

I haven’t tried this but bet it would work:

Add a transparent field (textbox) to the card. Position the mouse cursor over the field. Click in the field. Press space (you could press any key, but space won’t obscure your image). Does HyperCard hide the cursor?