Do you know this Apple II? Anything special?

appleiitomacbookairm2

New Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2026
1
0
1
Apple fan here without expertise on Apple ][. I hope someone can help identify my late dad’s Apple ][ (not II plus, IIgs, IIe, etc.) and give me some advice on what to do with it. It has been in a garage (low-ish humidity) in a cardboard box for 30+ years, since he powered it down circa 1985. He and I both loved this thing.

It looks pretty good to me from the outside. Here are some photos, and a list of what I see (when I opened the top):
  • Motherboard reading 820-0044-01
  • CPU “6502”
  • Serial number A2S1-22824
  • Hitachi ROMs
  • Slot 0 - Apple Language Card
  • Slot 1 - Printer card?
  • Slot 6 - Disk II
  • Letters on keyboard appears slightly yellowed (not pure white)
  • Power cable (probably original)
I did not test it or try to boot it, or even plug it in because I know that can be dangerous and I might fry it. I have not removed the keyboard – or anything.

If any upgrades were made to it, my dad was not the type to have done that himself, preferring to take electronics to a professional/authorized repair person.

I also have
  • Two Disk II drives still connected to the card (Model A2M0003, serial numbers: )
  • A long printer cable (no printer in sight)
  • Manuals in Very Good/Excellent condition: Apple II Reference Manual January 1978 (“Red Book”); Apple ][ Basic Programming Manual; Apple II The DOS Manual; Apple II Language Card Installation and Operation Manual; Elementary, My Dear Apple Education Series. -- found one more after writing this: "Apple II Personal Computer System" with multicolor apple logo and "apple ][" on beige cover
  • Floppy disks, some with apparent mold on the labels but the disk itself looks clean to me: DOS 3.3 System Master (with black Apple logo and “16” inside it), 2 copies of DOS 3.3 System Master (one of which may be damaged), DOS 3.3. BASICS (with black Apple logo and “16” inside it), AppleWriter ][ C2B0010 Master, Elementary, My Dear Apple Education Series (with black Apple logo and “16” inside it)
  • A monitor that I have not removed from its box (but I don’t think it’s Apple-made)

This is a personally significant/sentimental machine to me but maybe nothing special in the scheme of things. Just curious what anyone on here has to say. Thanks for any and all thoughts about what I should do with it!
 

Attachments

  • Apple II inside entire motherboard.jpeg
    Apple II inside entire motherboard.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • Apple II serial number.jpeg
    Apple II serial number.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Apple II with disk drives on top.JPG
    Apple II with disk drives on top.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Disk II fronts.JPG
    Disk II fronts.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Floppies front.jpeg
    Floppies front.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Tangle of cables.JPG
    Tangle of cables.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • Manuals.jpeg
    Manuals.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11

ESM-NL

Tinkerer
Jun 4, 2025
55
34
18
The Netherlands
I'm not into Apple ][ machines, but what I see on the inside photo is a very clean and corrosion-free locig board and PSU. That is a good sign in getting this machine back to working condition.