For all the Color Classic FANS out there...

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
I have done the same fan replacement on my color classic, it's a great upgrade! Great before and after comparisons, even if you had hoped for a more dramatic difference, in my day to day experience it's a big change.

Reactions: JDW and Stephen

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
...even if you had hoped for a more dramatic difference, in my day to day experience it's a big change.
Thank you for watching and for sharing your thoughts!

Yes, the Noctua 80mm fan makes a noticeable difference insofar as the frequency of the noise is lower, versus the higher pitched sound of the stock fan. When I do my SCSI to SD card HDD replacement video, everyone can then see the real difference!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Ooo i love your videos! Well produced and good information about my favorite machines!
I sincerely appreciate your kind words, especially because I think your videos are really quite amazing. Without a doubt, you are a true asset to the vintage Mac Community! Please say "hi" to Maccy for me! :)

Reactions: MacKilRoy

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Just installed mine tonight, easy to follow along. Cooling those analog and 575 boards nicely. My spicy is in the mail too!

• Love
Reactions: JDW

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I have a Mystic fan upgrade on my future to-do list in a few weeks. I also ordered a spicy and look forward to some spicy overclocking goodness.

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Awesome, my spicy just arrived today from Japan (many thanks @Kay K.M.Mods !) and I look forward to following along with your video.
I've set mine to 45mhz for the time being, that's already such a big jump!
Caveat being the VRAM used

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I think i need to get one of these for my Poewr Macintosh 475...i'd be interested to see how much i can squeeze out of it!

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I think i need to get one of these for my Poewr Macintosh 475...i'd be interested to see how much i can squeeze out of it!
I'm about to try this one as well :)
It's a race!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com

You will be surprised how much you can squeeze! On my Mystic, it's shocking. Again, I've never read anyone report the speeds I've achieved, and the limiting factor is VRAM, despite the fact I'm using 60ns, which from what I understand, is the fastest available. If there was a set of 50ns chips, it would probably go even faster. When the screen goes crazy due to a clock speed that's too high, the machine still boots and I can press the power key to get a beep and shutdown normally. That proves the CPU and RAM are fine at that high clock speed. It's just the VRAM. Any of you serious about getting the most from Kay's overclocker need the fastest VRAM you can find, and 60ns seems to be about the best you can get.