Gefen 4x1 DVI/ADC switch

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I picked up a Gefen ADC switch recently, sans power supply. It takes 4 DVI inputs (as well as USB, and audio) and outputs DVI / USB, and audio, as well as all those things over an ADC connector.

IMG_4688.jpeg

So, my goal is to hook up all my towers, including my Intel PowerMac, via DVI to the switch, and have them all share my 22" Cinema LCD. I don't believe it will run send output to my 17 CRT ADC monitor, as that expects an analog signal and I'm pretty sure this switch simply passes along the DVI's digital signal. I know Gefen made a VGI / ADC adapter that might actually work with the CRT, as long as you swap out the power supply for something beefier.

IMG_4690.jpeg

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know the connector type for this power supply, and does anyone know pins need 24v power?

IMG_4691.jpeg

At the end of the day, I may just pick up this, as I would guess it will work with my switch, despite being meant to a different model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3723211874...OlYrriC72/AqwVduLmhCgooVHSLe|tkp:BFBMoNK7_tJg

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@wottle, can you take a picture of the bottom of that? Sometimes there are power requirements values on the bottom label. If not, the model number is usually listed there to help us help you. Anyway, I found the user's manual for your switch:

I noticed on the back page of that manual in the #6 area, it lists:
  • Power Consumption: 18 Watts (max.)
  • Power Supply: 12 volts AC
The thing is, you need to know which amperage, 2.5A or 8A? Hence, I was wondering about the label on the bottom of the switch. :)

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
@wottle, can you take a picture of the bottom of that? Sometimes there are power requirements values on the bottom label. If not, the model number is usually listed there to help us help you. Anyway, I found the user's manual for your switch:

I noticed on the back page of that manual in the #6 area, it lists:
  • Power Consumption: 18 Watts (max.)
  • Power Supply: 12 volts AC
The thing is, you need to know which amperage, 2.5A or 8A? Hence, I was wondering about the label on the bottom of the switch. :)
Yea, no power requirements on the bottom. I believe the DVI only switch is 12v, but my guess is they went with a 24v power supply because the ADC cable must power not just the switch, but the monitor that is plugged into the ADC cable (ADC delivers power, USB, audio over one cable).

This page shows it used a 24v 60W power supply, which would indicate a 2.5A power supply. the 6W would be more than enough to run any of the ADC flat panel displays Apple had.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yea, no power requirements on the bottom. I believe the DVI only switch is 12v, but my guess is they went with a 24v power supply because the ADC cable must power not just the switch, but the monitor that is plugged into the ADC cable (ADC delivers power, USB, audio over one cable).

Gotcha. :)

This page shows it used a 24v 60W power supply, which would indicate a 2.5A power supply. the 6W would be more than enough to run any of the ADC flat panel displays Apple had.

Well, the 24 VAC power adapter comes in several amperages. Still, need to pick the suitable one - 2.4 amp or 8 amp?

Reactions: wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Gotcha. :)

Well, the 24 VAC power adapter comes in several amperages. Still, need to pick the suitable one - 2.4 amp or 8 amp?
Yeah, I was more curious if anyone had one as to which pins are the 24v pins and I could make my own with a generic 24v power supply. I doubt the 22" Cinema LCD would need 60W.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I doubt the 22" Cinema LCD would need 60v.

Right. :) According to Apple, in this PDF on the Apple 22" Cinema Display, the power requirements are:
  • Line voltage: 28V DC ± 1.5V
  • Power: 77W (maximum) when operating; 35W or less when the system is in energy saver mode
(The PDF file is here.)

Reactions: wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Right. :) According to Apple, in this PDF on the Apple 22" Cinema Display, the power requirements are:
  • Line voltage: 28V DC ± 1.5V
  • Power: 77W (maximum) when operating; 35W or less when the system is in energy saver mode
(The PDF file is here.)
Hmmm. the 2.5A one might not be enough. I'm not sure I want to spend 3x what I spent on the hub on a power supply though. Thanks for the info. I should have looked that up for myself. I do wonder how the original power supply for the gaffer unit got away with being a 60W version.