Grid 1 REVIEW — iPhone 2G Wall Art

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
For you vintage iPhone lovers out there. You can now have internal organs of the original iPhone 2G beautifully splattered on your wall!

If you already own a product from Grid Studios, I'd love to see a photo of yours and hear how you like it.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Forgive me for not quite understanding these types of things, but wouldn't the good condition shell and outer parts go to better use to fix up a beat up 2G instead of sitting unused on a wall? Especially since the 2Gs get scratched up so easily. Yes, they look really cool, but it just feels like a bit of a waste unless the phone has been damaged in some way. (function wise or cosmetically) I'm curious on what other people here in the vintage tech community think of them though. The video was great though!

Last edited:

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
With 2G networks being phased out in many places the original iPhone is unfortunately not very functional any more. I have a few that need battery replacements, but regardless they don't operate anymore here in Australia as the 2G networks were shutdown some time back. Sure you could use them as an iPod, or just on Wifi in your home but who's really going to do that? The units I have are barely used but sit in a drawer. I like the art aspect, and own a few of the Grid frames. They're a great conversation piece, and also make a great gift (no affiliation with them, just think they're kinda cool).

• Love
Reactions: JDW

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Yeah, they're no good as phones anymore, but with a bit of work jailbreaking & unlocking them, you can easily sideload old apps and games onto them. With a battery replacement (which mine really needed), they end up as great devices for early iOS games. The legacy iOS community is pretty small right now, but as nostalgia grows for them I can see it becoming pretty big. I guess being interested in that is why it kind of hurts to see those pristine parts which are really hard to come by ending up on the wall instead of in the hands of people who want to use and restore them.

For the record though, they do look super cool. Looks like I'm torn!

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Picked up a 4s on eBay for a discount. Haven’t hung it up yet, but really do love seeing the components that make up older tech. Part of why I love the translucent phase of Apple products. My 17 Apple Studio CRT is one of my favorite pieces of apple hardware.
B6633EB3-F9BC-480A-98CC-6D8803863691.jpeg

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Picked up a 4s on eBay for a discount. Haven’t hung it up yet, but really do love seeing the components that make up older tech. Part of why I love the translucent phase of Apple products. My 17 Apple Studio CRT is one of my favorite pieces of apple hardware. View attachment 7350
I like the fact they also included the battery too. I hope it's a dummy, gutted battery, but I still like a more complete set.

Some people ask if the parts inside the Grid 1 (iPhone 2G) can be used to build a complete phone, and the answer is no. But I guess the pristine shell could be used on a working phone. Even so, I would never want to disassemble my Grid 1 only to salvage the outer shell. Okay... well... if some fabulous wealthy fanatic approached me and said, "I'll pay you US$1000 for those parts, I'd break down and do it, but that's not going to happen. :)

Reactions: wottle

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I like the fact they also included the battery too. I hope it's a dummy, gutted battery, but I still like a more complete set.

Some people ask if the parts inside the Grid 1 (iPhone 2G) can be used to build a complete phone, and the answer is no. But I guess the pristine shell could be used on a working phone. Even so, I would never want to disassemble my Grid 1 only to salvage the outer shell. Okay... well... if some fabulous wealthy fanatic approached me and said, "I'll pay you US$1000 for those parts, I'd break down and do it, but that's not going to happen. :)

I had wondered that myself, and if this article is to be believed, they are replica batteries:

"In frames, such as this Apple Watch model, that include a battery, a fake battery is used so it is safe to store, display, and ship. However Grid creates the fake batteries, they look identical to the real deal."

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
My YouTube Channel stalker was quick with the Thumbs-down this time...

1659574549401.png

Admittedly, I don't know if it's the same fellow or not, but there's always that one thumbs-down not matter what the video is about.

Or maybe it really is a different person each time, upset because they were expecting a video about pizza but found my video somewhat lacking in culinary stimulation.
🍕 🍔 🌮 🤤

Ah well, at least YouTube considers the negatives "engagement" which helps the channel. So whoever you are... BIG THANK YOU! :)

And humble thanks to the rest of you who kindly click that more upbeat icon.

• Sad
Reactions: wottle

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Looks like a great way to decorate a wall AND keep nasty electronics out of landfill burial sites. The parts themselves won't lose value on display in the case that collectors ever do want to buy them off your wall for restoration work. The frame looks eminently re-usable for other indiscriminately chosen splayed out piles of iCrap ;)

Reactions: 3lectr1c and JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I guess the iPhone isn't very popular as a topic, or perhaps my channel visitors just don't like it. Lower than normal views AND a loss of a Subscriber too! Yikes!

1659587126308.png

Glad I'm not a full timer Youtuber. I notice the numbers but don't live by them. :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Wow @JDW! Excellent idea framing the 2G iPhone. I like it. :D(y)

Funny thing, it's harder to frame an Apple II, III, or Mac yet easier to frame an Apple I because the Apple I wasn't sold with a case, and all the extras, the customers had to pay extra above the $666.66. Aha! Did someone have significant, large, and bold characters of $666.66 on the white background above a framed Apple I? That maybe could become a conversational piece with guests! :sneaky:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yet, I wonder if the advertisements of the Apple I for $666.66, from the third and fourth quarters of 1976, enlarged in a big frame, would strike a conversation? :unsure:

1659636141903.png
1659636195028.png

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I have a question, @JDW. :)

The blocky black frame you used strongly reminded me of picture frames purchased at one of those worldwide IKEA stores, so I wonder if the Grid 1 frame is similar to a Hovsta or Sannahed frame by IKEA? :D

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
1659646712729.png

😱😱😱

...I wonder if the Grid 1 frame is similar to a Hovsta or Sannahed frame by IKEA? :D
No wood texture at all on the black part of the Grid 1 frame, so the Sannahed frame you mention, based on internet photos I am seeing, would appear to be a close match.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Spotted this on FaceBook today. Just a timing coincidence this news hit shortly after the debut of my video?

1659648622047.png

Article here: https://www.macrumors.com/review/grid-studio-ipod-and-ipad-mini/

And for those of you thinking US$399 is pricey for the original iPhone, The article mentions that the 4th gen iPod Classic from Grid Studios costs the same after $100 discount! 😱
https://gridstudio.cc/products/grid®-ipod-classic-4th-generation

I can see the ground-breaking original iPhone costing that princely sum, but a 4th gen iPod? Yikes!

• Wow
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

LOL! 😂😂😂 Nice catch on to that typo. I am not sure if Steve Jobs found that out. 👀🙈 We found that out some four decades later!

No wood texture at all on the black part of the Grid 1 frame, so the Sannahed frame you mention, based on internet photos I am seeing, would appear to be a close match.

Cool! A poor man's approach! :D

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I really like the design/breakout concept behind these (and the minimalist frame) but I agree that for that price, there should be zero issues. The generic verbiage & dust would be a big turn off for me when spending $400+ USD. Not having the exact part names is just lazy to me. Through that lense, it's like they didn't care enough to get that sorted before getting to market and selling to technically/detailed minded customers who enjoy/expect that level of specificity. It bugs me when a really, really cool idea/concept like this is rushed and comes out somewhat half assed on the other side which I think your video bores out (great video btw). Anyhow, I hope they can and do improve those opportunities you mentioned. i really do like the ipad and iphones but for that money, they'll have to do better.

My preference is definitely glass.

Reactions: retr01 and JDW