How do you do the vintage feeling for the daily tasks?

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Kai's previous post was giving me the idea to ask you guys if you use vintage peripheries for your daily computer usage.
I mean, monitors, keyboards, mouse or vintage storage. Using vintage computers is one thing, we do this because of our hobby but using old I/O devices makes the daily feeling "vintage".
I use the M7963 USB G4 Cube Speakers in original condition (with Trinity Enabler), A1314 BT keyboard and G5431 mouse (with Drakware adapter) for my M1 Mac mini,
and Apple Cinema Display HD 23" ADC monitor (with this ADC to HDMI adapter ), Apple Keyboard II M0487 and G5431 mouse for my work - HP Elitebook with Windows.

How do you do the vintage feeling for the daily tasks?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Hmm, I suppose old kb/ms & monitors alongside old machines & OS. I’ve always been a fan of amplified aftermarket audio interfaces and sound, so those are used on most machines and most that I have are early-mid 2000’s era stuff. That aspect of my setups are definitely important to my vintage experience.

Reactions: fehervaria

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
If any of you want to use ADB Mouse (with any of the available adapters) you'll recognise they are much "slower" mouses like the nowdays pointer devices.
You can use the System Preferences to try to speedup the cursor tracking speed but with some old ADB mouse it still stays very slow.
Use these Terminal commands to boost the old guy:
Code:
defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.scaling 20
The maximum speed from System Preferences is the scaling value 3:
Code:
defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.scaling 3

You need to logout / login or restart your computer. If you use the System Preferences to reset your mouse speed then not need to logout / login

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Right now, the only vintage items I use with my MBP are my home audio components and speakers... The buit-in keyboard is decent enough, and the Micro$oft mouse works well. So, 1988-92 vintage Sony receiver and CD player, and a pair of 1985 vintage Infinity speakers. They are connected to the headphone output of the MBP with the usual Y-cable. I don't daily "drive" the G3, but that computer does have ADB input devices connected to it - a M2980 keyboard with ADB Mouse II plugged into the pass-through ADB port.

Back when I was using my Mac Pro, I usually used either one of the older Apple Pro Keyboards or an A1048 "ice tray" (or, as I prefer to call it, "dirt collector") keyboard. My G4 Macs were the ones I used with a Griffin iMate and a M0115 keyboard.

Reactions: fehervaria